The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any guys out there use a 280 REM.?I own 4 ,280s..I simply love this caliber.I have other guys on different site say its the same as a 270 but,i feel{{{AND I MY BE WRONG}}} the 280 has more shocking power on game than a 270.I have owend both calibers and feel stongly on the 280 over the 270.I have taken CHUCKS,DEER,CARiBOU,BEAR and YOTES with the 280 rem.everything i shoot drops in their tracks.The CARIBOU i shot in QUBEC was 340YDS.I held 4" high and he dropped like a ton of bricks.I use 140 grn.soft point.MANUFACTORY AMO.I have shot deer and 1 BEAR with the 270 and never had the results of the 280 rem.Dont get me wrong the 270 did kill everything i shot but,Never droped where i hit them like the 280REM.I own 2 RUGAR 280s,1 REM.MT rifle in 280 and a REM pump 280.My favorite is the MT.RIFLE.I have been useing the 280 caliber for the last 24 years.I can remember when it was called the 7MM express.Any coments for or against id love to hear.THANKS.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I love the 280, The ballistics are outstanding. But what I would really like to get a semi custom in 280 AI. I have been a 30 cal hunter most of my life I'm going to be giving the 270 with 130 grain Accubonds a try for this deer season.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have a ruger m77 .280 rem in stainless! I have yet to shoot anything with it, I'll be using 150 grain soft points. Hope to deer after a bear this year and shoot a WV and PA buck this year with it

·
Registered
158 Posts
My .280 Remington reamer just arrived this week, so I see at least another one for me and, hopefully, a few customer rifles in .280. I have a Model 70 Featherweight .280, now.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I have a .280 Remington model 700 bought it at an estate sale for $200 and a sweet shooter she is. It has an "A' serial# made in 1980, it has 7MM Express stamped on barrel.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I love 7mm bullets partly because of the ballistic coeficients which translates to efficiency of the rounds. I also think the 7mm gives much better variety and choice in bullet weights than the 270 does. Both are fantastic calibers and much is shooter preference but I hunt with 7mm's the majority of the time. My current version is a custom Ruger action with Shaw barrel in the 280 Ackley Improved - I load it with 140 grain Sierra Game Kings - Just returned from New Mexico where it dropped an antelope at 310 yards.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
I have a 280 Rem.Winchester model 70 Featherweight. It has performed well on bucks and 1 Pa bear. I use Winchester ballistic tip 140 grain. It has been a great flat shooter. Sadly Winchester dropped manufacturing them years ago.I have had offers to sell it...but no way.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
I have a Win. model 70 featherweight in .280. I love it I have other rifles but without a doubt that is my go to rifle. Killed an antelope at 267 yards with it 2 years ago.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
It's about the same thing as a 7mm mag, the difference is not worth arguing about, a 100-200 feet per second doesn't make that much difference to lung or heart tissue I'm sure...it's ashame it never really caught on and I remember the whole deal with the 7mm express well, wished I would have bought one marked with that stamp.... great cartridge without question.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Vrey few companys are makeing the 280 rem as of late.Im paying upwards of $43.00 a box of 20 rounds now.Their shells are getting hard to find also.Im starting to save all my brass.i have a friend that loads for my 17 AKELY HORNET.ill have him do my 280s.I glad there are so many 280 fans on this site.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have a 7mm-08.REM.MT RIFLE.Sweet shooting gun.I get GREAT GROUPS out to 300yds.I killed a few deer with it.I have alos shot a bunch of BOAR in the carolinas with it.All neck shots.One thing i will say about it is that it is kinda loud.I dont know if you have noticed that.It kinda makes a CRACK,BOOM,FIZZ noise i found.3 distint sounds but ,NEAT.lol.Im impressed with the 7mm-08.Before i got so hooked on the 280 REM.i used the 308 caliber for deer and a 7mm for bear and caribou.Now they kinda got the 2 calibers together.I own 54 rifles and the 7mm-08 is one of my top 10.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
7mm-08 is a great cartridge. I doubt it will go out of favor as it has a terrific following in many of the shooting sports competitions specifically large bore silhouette due to its accuracy and light recoil.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have a 7mm-08 my buddy shots a 280. For longer range shots I would go with the 280, but would not trade up my 7mm-08 for most PA hunting. The 280 has much flatter ballistics and can shot a much higher grain bullet but other than that they are both awesome deer hunting guns.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
kluf357 said:
I have a 7mm-08 my buddy shots a 280. For longer range shots I would go with the 280, but would not trade up my 7mm-08 for most PA hunting. The 280 has much flatter ballistics and can shot a much higher grain bullet but other than that they are both awesome deer hunting guns.
Actually they can shoot exactly the same weight bullets. Further, unless you handload and even then its hard to do much better in either round, the ballistics are almost identical between the two cartridges because the vast majority of factory loadings are within about 90-100 fps of each other for the same weight bullet...both are 7mm so both will have the exact same ballistics per bullet weight. I AM NOT knocking the .280 either. I love the round and feel it will do almost everything the .30-06 will do and more than the .270. I used to have one in the h&r ultra platform in the rmef rifle. Thing shot GREAT and was a dream to carry. Come to think of it...not sure why I was dumb enough to get rid of it...

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
kswiggy said:
I have a 280 Rem.Winchester model 70 Featherweight. It has performed well on bucks and 1 Pa bear. I use Winchester ballistic tip 140 grain. It has been a great flat shooter. Sadly Winchester dropped manufacturing them years ago.I have had offers to sell it...but no way.
ID love to finda winchester classic in 280.I have a classic in 308,beautiful gun.

·
Registered
100 Posts
There is a nice Ruger 77 280 for sale in the classifieds if someone looking at this topic is interested. Its a nice addition to anyone's personal collection.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts