The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all let me say this is the best site.

Second, I am looking at getting a new rifle to hunt
grounghog, deer , and bear or whatever.

I have shot and hunted with a 30-06 for 35 plus years and
in the past few a 243.

Gave the 30-06 to my son and just gave the 243 to my SIL
for Christmas.

I like the ballistics of the 280, but not many options on
firearms.

I like the 25-06 for options in firearms but not many
bullet options.

What are some ideas about these two calibers.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
The 280 has several advantages, however, if its just going to be a varmint and deer gun, take your pick, either is perfect. Any larger game prospects in your future, I would go with the 280. I really do not see much if any difference when I shoot a deer with my 280 or a 7mm mag. Same bullet, a little less velocity, same results every time. I would get both and enjoy them since you passed along your other rifles!

·
Registered
555 Posts
If you don't hand load, I'd go with the .25-06. The .280 has unreasonably low SAMMI pressures and needs to be hand loaded for to show its true potential.

That said, I'd feel a little better carrying the .280 (even with factory offerings) should I come across a large bear. It's not that the .25-06 won't do the trick, I'd just rather the larger, heavier bullet that the 7mm offers.

It may be worth considering the .270 if you don't hand load. It's available in just about any rifle you wish and there is lots of ammo produced for it.

If you go with the .25-06, I'd try to stick with a rifle that has a 24" barrel in order to get the most out of it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply Joe.
At this point I do not have a bunch of funds.
So, I am looking at the least expensive way to go.

·
Registered
5,555 Posts
With bear on the menu it seems to me the better choice would be the .280. I'm sure that many bear have fallen to the .25-06, but I personally would personally like to have a little more bullet weight for deeper penetration on angled shots. A good compromise though would be the .270. Tons of factory loadings, decent range of bullet weights to shoot woodchucks all the way up to bear. Good luck with what choice you make and let us know which one you choose!

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
I'd go with a 270 as well. Tons of good priced 270's available out there. I find 280's are generally made in higher priced guns.

·
Registered
5,790 Posts
I have several 25 calibers very devasting on deer. I even took an elk 2 years ago with one. You wont need anything more than there 100 grain bullet for deer hunting. True they are limited on bullets but no worry. They will shoot good, kill very well, and recoil is very mild.

·
Registered
496 Posts
2506 I have had one since the mid 80 first one was a withworth X and the current one is a Win 70 XTR an both have been tack drivers the 280 is a handloader thing I have mu longest shot with my 2506 of 420 yards not that it matters this year my 10 year old grandson used it doe at 60 so there you have a vote for the 2506

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
Just remember.......a 95gr. bullet from a 260 rem or the 6.5 Swede (Both of which are ballistically identical) is a match to the best performing 100gr. 25-06.

However, the 260 Rem or the 6.5 Swede can be loaded up from there.

That tells you a lot. Just run the ballistics on any ballistic table.

SW

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
The .280 is the way to go. have owned one for Quite a while & will shoot 1 inch groups with the remington psp corelokts and will do even better with hand loads.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Both good choices for your uses, except the bear. I would better shooting a bear with a 160 grain Partition out of a .280. If you are not hung up on the two calibers, I'll add to the above thoughts-why not a .270? You can find a .270 in every rifle ever made, I think.

Will

·
Registered
398 Posts
If you handload and are sold on these two rounds, then the .280 is the way to go since you might be able to find heavier bullets for bear in the .284 (7mm) diameter. ROVERT and mackgee make a good point. Ballistically there is such a tiny difference between the .270 and .280 until you go with the heavier bullets (big bear loads). So, unless you plan on hunting huge grizzlies a .270 might be the wisest choice. Lots of options..in bullet choice, factory load choice and more dealers stock .270 rifles than .280's.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts