The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have one? I have a ruger 77 sporter in .280 that shoots ok but not what I expected it to do, so im thinking of getting it re barreled in .280 ai, looking at reloading data for it seems like its an exceptional round! Just looking for some feedback.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
.280 Rem to .280 AI is not a re-barrel project unless you want it to be. It's simply running the AI reamer into the factory chamber.

Not my cup of tea, either. But many speak highly of the .280 AI

·
Registered
993 Posts
I have Both 280 Rem and a 280 AI its a fine cartridge but the 280 Rem is much easier .
My 280 Rem's shoot 150 Gr well under 1 MOA

·
Registered
236 Posts
Barrel length affects peak velocities with this improved cartridge. I'm guessing your barrel is about 22 inches in length. To achieve 7mm MAG power the barrel should be 24 to 25 inches.

The 280 Improved has a lot going for it including long range power and large selection of .284 bullets for reloading.

TR

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Anybody have one? I have a ruger 77 sporter in .280 that shoots ok but not what I expected it to do, so im thinking of getting it re barreled in .280 ai, looking at reloading data for it seems like its an exceptional round! Just looking for some feedback.
What is the reason you want to change?

Better accuracy then you are getting with the current gun/barrel?
More velocity?
Just want to try something different?

Good luck, Tony

·
Registered
261 Posts
You wouldn't need to have it rebarreled, just get someone to finish ream with a 280 ai. Not sure how much gain there really is over a handloaded 280. A lot of the AI improvement often comes from increasing the pressure. Not sure if that's the case with the 280 or not.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have never gotten the best accuracy from this gun 1.5" with factory ammo and 1.25 maybe slightly better with reloads, ive put alot of money in this gun now, so I figured i might as well get it rebarreled and have a really accurate firearms i hope. I know i dont need to rebarrel it but if im not getting good accuracy now idk if itll shoot after rechambering it, plus i like different rounds you dont see all the time, i have a 338-06 and a 6mm rem i think the ackley would be a cool addition to my odd ball round collection.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
I have never gotten the best accuracy from this gun 1.5" with factory ammo and 1.25 maybe slightly better with reloads, ive put alot of money in this gun now, so I figured i might as well get it rebarreled and have a really accurate firearms i hope. I know i dont need to rebarrel it but if im not getting good accuracy now idk if itll shoot after rechambering it, plus i like different rounds you dont see all the time, i have a 338-06 and a 6mm rem i think the ackley would be a cool addition to my odd ball round collection.
That is the perfect reason for getting the 280AI.

I have never played with a 280AI but I have other AI and blown out cartridges. If you are doing a complete rebarrel go with the AI version. I dont think I can add anything you havnt already read about the AI's; higher velocities, longer case life. Personally for my needs I dont see any disadvantages to going with the 280 AI over a standard 280.

Good luck, Tony

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Sounds good to me, go for it. I have an affinity for odd ball or less popular rounds myself.

·
Registered
5,790 Posts
Years ago I heard it was one of the most efficient of the PO Ackley's Improves. Of course at this time in the late 80's everyone was jumping on that wagon of opening up the 280 to a AI in the Mt. rifle to get close to 7 mag vel. At that time I was shooting a 250/300 AI very efficient. At this current time I'm doing a 260 AI build mainly for fun and something different.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Well, as stated, you could do with with just a chamber reaming, but if you do that, it's the same barrel. If you go for a completely different barrel than I guess you get what you pay for.

Who's barrels are you looking at for the 280 AI? Who's 338-06 barrel did you use and on what was the platform? results?

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, as stated, you could do with with just a chamber reaming, but if you do that, it's the same barrel. If you go for a completely different barrel than I guess you get what you pay for.

Who's barrels are you looking at for the 280 AI? Who's 338-06 barrel did you use and on what was the platform? results?
Probably just do a shilen, the 338-06 i did was a 760 that i changed from the original configuration with the more shotgun looking furniture to the newer design with the free floating barrel. It has a shilen barrel too, my only regret is i should have gotten a heavier contour, i can get two maybe three shots before it gets hot and starts walking, but right now with those first three with 200gr ssts and imr 4350 i can clover leaf at one hundred yards.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts