The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a warn 50 caliber barrel for my flintlock with the intention of boring it out to .550 smooth (28ga) to use on rabbit hunts using regular plastic 28 ga wads with an overshot card. Has anyone tried this? I didn’t do it yet so opinions are welcomed.

·
Registered
6,477 Posts
Sounds like a winner for bunnies.If you hunt with dogs and they bring them around close,you can shoot w/o the shot cup.You will get more open patterns for close range.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Did it once with a 54cal. My method was rather crude but, I welded an extension on to a drill bit ,clamped it into a length of angle iron to keep it straight while welding, came out almost perfect. Next started to drill with a 14.4 volt makita battery drill ,take it slow, it won't be easy. Next after drilling, since I did not have any reamers, I got one of those 2 stone brake cylinder hones and attached it to an aluminum arrow shaft and started to hone with the shaft attached to the drill , buy plenty of extra stones and a can of WD40 for lubricating the stones keep it wet while honing. After about 3 days of honing you will wish you never started this project,but keep going the results will be satisfying.

I have taken plenty of squirrel and yes a fall turkey. Mine is also a flintlock.

Have fun.

Not sure if the brake hone will work on a 50cal ,if I recall the hone was plenty tight in a 54cal.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts