The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stopped at the sporting goods store yesterday and i seen this sxs in the rack.It was a new Stoeger Uplander 28 gauge with imp.cyl/mod fixed chokes with 26" barrels.Felt great and swung real nice and the price was right at about $320.Was thinking this would make a good brush gun for rabbits.What do you guys think?Anyone ever use a 28 gauge :2gunsfiring:

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
I have a Remington 870 Express 28 gauge that my grandad bought me when I was 8 or 9 or so...........I killed a heck of a lot of squirrels and bunnies with that gun, and it is still one of my favorite guns to carry when hunting small game................

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
One of the best shotgun gauges ever conceived. Throws nearly perfectly proportional patterns. Buy it, you will not be sorry.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I use a .28 sxs for much of my hunting and I shoot clays and skeet with it as well. It is more than enough gun for rabbits.

·
Registered
955 Posts
28 gauge rocks! The only set back for me is the price of ammo.

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
BrowningFan369 said:
28 gauge rocks! The only set back for me is the price of ammo.
Is it more expensive than 410 ammo, the greatest rip-off of all time? The reason I ask is because I have some 28 ga. shells I may get rid of.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
They are about the same price, reason being, they don't sell nerly as many as they do 12 and 20 gauge shells. The 16 gauge shells are in the same boat, more expensive because few use them. Less use means they sit in inventory longer.

·
Registered
975 Posts
28 Ga. ammo cost is a very good reason to get a MEC600 jr. and roll your own. You will find that it pays for itself in a very short time. I have a Ruger Red Label with the gold woodcock on the side for the wife and a Rem. 11-48 skeet gun. With as much fun a these are to shoot I would go broke very quickly at around $10 a box.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
I love my 28 gauge O/U. I use for sporting clays,skeet & hunting for pheasants/grouse/quail & chukar.
I highly recommend it !

·
Registered
9,479 Posts
If it was me I,d grab it.I,ve toyed with the idea to buy a s/gun in this unique ga.buthave only seen em priced in super high price ranges.That is a good price.Just don,t take Dick Cheney with you to show you the ropes.HaHa.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
All I can ask is this. Is it a true 28 gauge or does it have 28 gauge barrels on a 20 gauge frame. If it has a larger frame you might as well just buy one in 20 gauge. Everything will be the same except the price of shells.

Remington put the 16 gauge back into action about 10 years ago by putting a 16 gauge barrel on a 12 gauge reciever. See how long that lasted? Never made much sence to me. I guess it didn't to others either.

While never having shot a 28 gauge could somebody explain it to me why you would even want one? Well, besides hunting with something most others don't. I love my 20 gauge guns. I have 12 gauge guns, but they hardly ever see the light of day. I could understand it if it we a dedicated frame/action size, but don't most manufacturers just slap on smaller barrels from a 20 for a 28?

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
The Stoeger would be on a larger frame, higher end guns would not. You have to be a serious shotgunner to appreciate the 28. It patterns 1 oz loads as good as any 20 or 12 gauge. Its just a fun round to monkey with, and most of us can't have enough guns anyway. 11B wants to maybe get it on the fun thats all. If you ever get a chance to handle a truly built to scale 28, you will not want to put it down, it feels that good!

·
Registered
941 Posts
Agree. The stoeger is not a very good platform for the 28 to show it's stuff. The cz 28's are a better economy gun and come with 5 choke tubes.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You hit the nail on the head Joe,Just for fun.True the Stoeger is a little heavy because it seems to be built on a 20 frame.Then of course there is the CZ Bobwhite that is a true 28 gauge.Then if i want to continue i could go full throttle and buy a Merkel.I might sream at the first scratch though,LOL

1 - 20 of 20 Posts