The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I still believe the creedmore is a flash in the pan and will fade out over time. Many articles I read state “ that the creed more was created as a target round not as a hunting gun “.

Don’t shoot the messenger just stating the facts plus looking to narrow down a future rifle .
E

·
Registered
169 Posts
I just said to my grandson we haven't bought a rifle in a while so what should we buy? He said we have a 270 and a 30/06, what else do we need? He's right. Other than fancy names I'm not sure these offer a whole lot and probably will die out like others have. Hard to compete with standard calibers.

·
Registered
10,651 Posts
Many articles I read state “ that the creed more was created as a target round not as a hunting gun “.
You may be right. It is accurate but there are so many better hunting rounds out there.

Of all the guys I shoot rifle with two friends and I are the only two who do not have a Creedmoor. The other guys are always complaining about how much components cost and how hard they are to get. I just smile and tell them about all the .224 and.308 components there are out there. :smile_big:

·
Registered
340 Posts
Of the three you have stated I would prefer the ultra, just like to "get er done" I have all three, plus two STW's . Bought my first STW in 1997 and it still shoots dime size groups! Great thread!

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
All are fine cartridges, but for hunting in PA, we are separating fly poop from pepper. Any properly desogned bullet 130 grain and up over 2500fps will do the job just fine on pa deer, bear, elk or anything else you want to shoot.

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
Of the three you have stated I would prefer the ultra, just like to "get er done" I have all three, plus two STW's . Bought my first STW in 1997 and it still shoots dime size groups! Great thread!

How do you like the 270 WSM? Any problem with barrel life? Reading up on them it sounds great but never played with one. Is there a good starting point for a hand load? Thinking about one and just asking. Waugh!

·
Registered
847 Posts
I've never owned a 7mmSTW but have owned a 270 WSM and presently own a 6.5 CM and of the 3 for hunting in PA. that 6.5 CM will do all ya need to. I've hunted the last two years with the 6.5 CM and with a 120gr. Sierra Pro Hunter bullet it lays deer down like they were hit with with 270 WSM.
Also here in N.E. PA. I hear a lot of guys putting down their hard kicking magnums for something just as good without all the recoil. I think the 6.5 Creedmoor is going to be around for a long time.

·
Registered
847 Posts
How do you like the 270 WSM? Any problem with barrel life? Reading up on them it sounds great but never played with one. Is there a good starting point for a hand load? Thinking about one and just asking. Waugh!
I had a Browning A bolt in the 270 WSM it was accurate with the 130 grain bullets but couldn't get it to shoot anything heavier. I didn't like the way it blew a big hole and wasted a lot of meat on the deer I shot with it but if you want something that will lay em down and not to worried about meat lost than it's a good caliber.
I only put about 120 rounds through it so I can't rightly say anything about barrel life. Good luck with it if you choose to get one.

·
Registered
340 Posts
All are fine cartridges, but for hunting in PA, we are separating fly poop from pepper. Any properly desogned bullet 130 grain and up over 2500fps will do the job just fine on pa deer, bear, elk or anything else you want to shoot.
You are absolutely right, but when you shoot that 25 in. 10 pt or that 500 lb. bear and it runs down over the hill and jersey joe shoots and claims it then you can go back to your stand and start separating ! Ha! Ha!

·
Registered
10,651 Posts
A 243 kills everything just as dead with less meat loss.
It is a favorite of mine and a versatile cartridge.

I also have a soft spot for 22-250s. I was going to buy a lightweight 22-250 for a "walking around gun" for chucks. Then realization hit me. I have a Ruger 77RL in 243. It is lightweight and shoots 55 grain and 60 grain bullets at near 22-250 velocity. In addition I can shoot bullets up to 105 grain. 243 Winchester :thumbs:

Reactions: jimbridger

·
Registered
340 Posts
I like the 270 wsm but as I stated STW is my go to! I have owned the STW for 21 yrs. and haven't shot out the barrel. I don't think with todays powders the average guy is going to ruin a barrel. As far as ruining meat I use Barnes bullets and they don't blow big holes and ruin meat and usually drop on the spot. Have shot a lot of game with my STW and never have excessively ruined any meat ! As for the 270wsm my 13 yr. old grandson shot the biggest buck we have ever gotten on the property this yr. with his 270wsm.Wish I knew how to post pics, it was a big buck ! One shot and very little meat loss, hand loaded with Barnes ! I will pm the load info. later.

·
Registered
4,131 Posts
The 243 Win is a light bullet at a high velocity. I don't think it's the poster child for minimal meat loss. That would be a slow, heavy bullet.

I resisted the Creedmoore hype for a long time but got my son one for Christmas a couple years ago and I love it. Very mild recoil, flat shooting and those long and heavy-for-caliber bullets really penetrate. The 7mm Ultramag is definitely the biggest hammer, but it kicks the most. I don't like the WSM cases. I don't like the way they feed. For me, it would be a toss-up between the 6.5 CM and the 7 RUM. I hunted with a 300 Weatherby Mag for years. It kicked, it was loud, and the worst thing, the gun was long and heavy. I'm starting to really like the shorter, lighter rifles.

The 7-08 would be a nice compromise.

·
Registered
18,560 Posts

Same as my 22-250 but just asking about the WSM. I have multiple rifles in many calibers I just never got one of the WSMs. My 243 works just fine. Waugh!

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
I like the 270 wsm but as I stated STW is my go to! I have owned the STW for 21 yrs. and haven't shot out the barrel. I don't think with todays powders the average guy is going to ruin a barrel. As far as ruining meat I use Barnes bullets and they don't blow big holes and ruin meat and usually drop on the spot. Have shot a lot of game with my STW and never have excessively ruined any meat ! As for the 270wsm my 13 yr. old grandson shot the biggest buck we have ever gotten on the property this yr. with his 270wsm.Wish I knew how to post pics, it was a big buck ! One shot and very little meat loss, hand loaded with Barnes ! I will pm the load info. later.

Thank you. Waugh!

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
You are absolutely right, but when you shoot that 25 in. 10 pt or that 500 lb. bear and it runs down over the hill and jersey joe shoots and claims it then you can go back to your stand and start separating ! Ha! Ha!
I killed a 9 point and 3 doe this year. All dropped in their tracks:smile2: All were over 100 yards, 2 of them I ranged at 160.

·
Registered
13,276 Posts
Ahhh....sure. I have an acquaintance who uses a 30-378 wby. Iv'e never known him to shoot a deer only once, always needs at least 2. I usually use a .270, and have shot deer with a 30-06, a .358, a .220 swift, a .250 savage, never shot one more than once and only had a couple that weren't drt.

Mebey the 30-378 isn't adaquate?

·
Registered
847 Posts
I guess the OP should figure out where he is going to hunt, how far the shots will be, how heavy a rifle he wants to carry, is he going to reload or buy factory rounds ( that 7mm STW ammo can get expensive) and how much he wants to spend on a rifle before we go to much further here with recommendations. Just saying it be a good idea to narrow it down some.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts