The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks ago I traded for a Winchester Model 70 Super Shadow chambered in the potent .270 WSM. Really, I went through with the trade because I always wanted a Model 70. But the other part of it was that this is a round that not many people see, use, or even know of, so that too made me instantly attracted to it. Of course I did research before the trade, but I continue to do research and I'm getting more and more impressed. I might even use it for deer all season this year. In my opinion, it seems like the only one of the four WSM cartridges that makes sense having because it really is in a class of it's own, with the closest being the even more rare .270 Weatherby Mag. Bought some Federal 130 grain Trophy Copper to shoot at the range, which I hope is this weekend. So, I'm just looking for anyone who may have experience with this round and what they've done with it. And I know, the good ol .270 Winchester is plenty for any deer on earth but a little extra velocity and energy never hurt anything hehe. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
I own a Tikka T3 Lite Stainless in 270 WSM. It is the most accurate big game rifle I own or have ever owned. I have nothing but praise for the cartridge. I killed my best whitetail buck ever with it back in 2010. I handload Nosler 130 Bal-Tips and 140 Accubonds. IMO Winchester certainly got it right with this 270. I have owned several 270 Winchesters over the years. This is the standard 270 just turbo-charged. I think Jack O'Conner would have liked it also.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for reminding me, I forgot to mention in the post that most folks that own one and use it seem to have nothing but praise for the cartridge. Thanks and good to know.

·
Super Moderator
7,820 Posts
I use a 300WSM, and dipped my toes into the 270 Win (not WSM) waters this year again.

The 270WSM compares pretty similarly to the 270Win as the 300WSM does to the 30-06. A bit more speed, a bit more recoil, a bit more powder, etc etc etc.

Are you handloading for this rifle? If not, now would be a great time to learn. While the 7WSM and 325WSM are worst off for brass/ammo selection, the 270 and 300WSM's are still not as widely available as stuff like 30-06's, 270's, and 300WM's.

Getting tooled up to reload BEFORE availability dries up, to me, makes a lot of sense.

For the record, I shoot a fair selection of out-of-the-ordinary cartridges.... 7.5x55, 6.5x55, 30-40 Krag, 35 Whelen, 264WM, 257 Roberts, 300H&H, and others. A good reloading setup, if you aren't already doing it, is something I think you might be wise to consider.

Other than that, I like the WSM's. I have a 300 and it is a sweetheart of a rifle. All my deer rifles, with the exception of a Marlin Guide Gun and a 1917 sporter that was my father's, are Model 70's. They range in age from being produced in 1937 to 2012. They're all good.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I have a browning x bolt in 270 wsm and love it. I came up with a hand load using 140 gr accubonds. It really pile drives deer and is extremely accurate. Good choice on this caliber. I also have the exact same rifle in 325 wsm. It too is a tack driver but it really packs a punch.

·
Super Moderator
7,820 Posts
The 270WSM shooting a 140AB is markedly similar to the 264WM shooting the same weight AB, and that is what I use in my 264. I have mine stoked pretty warm....getting 3230fps for a 140AB out of it. I've killed one deer with it so far, and it was....yeah....wow.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the input, and yes this cartridge being added to the collection is going to make me strongly consider getting a press and dies to reload for the rifle. Only makes sense because it defiantly is not a cheap round for good factory ammo. There is just something about the Model 70's looks it is one of my favorite looking bolt guns. And as a side note, this rifle has one of the nicest quality synthetic stocks I've ever seen on a synthetic rifle.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
To both "sawdust" and "tdd", since you have experience loading for this round and you both mention 140 grain AB's, do you feel like this is the best weight for the round compared to 130's or 150's? Seems like that weight would provide the best combo of sectional density, speed, energy, and trajectory.

·
Super Moderator
7,820 Posts
I have a 270 Winchester, not a 270wsm. Sorry for the confusion.

I use 150gr Ballistic Tips in my 270 Win. Probably would look to a 150 Partition or 140ab in a 270wsm, if it were mine to load.

Which M70 did you get?

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
The first few seasons I owned my 270WSM I killed deer with 130gr Hornady Spire Points, Winchester Ballistic Silver Tips and Barnes Triple Shocks.
The Hornady SP is my "go to" bullet for the last 7 seasons.
All of the bullets got the job done but the Hornady seemed to be a blend of the other two.

I shot two Caribou with factory 150gr Winchester Power Points and they performed well.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
tdd, it is a used Super Shadow. Wasn't sure I would be a fan of the design of that synthetic stock, but it really is one of the best synthetic stocks I've seen in terms of quality so I can get over those goofy swirls on the butt of the rifle. I do however like the raised grip dots on the grip and fore end.

·
Super Moderator
7,820 Posts
The caution I have with a round like a 270WSM is that cup/core bullets will have a tendency to spit cores or fragment if you run them fast and have relatively close shots. I used Hornady Interlocks (SP's and BTSP's) for years with no issue until I started using Hornady's now-defunct "Light Magnum" ammo. Then I started seeing bullets coming apart.

If I could use one make/model of bullet in ALL my rifles, for all purposes, it'd be a Nosler partition, hands down, no question. I'm experimenting with Ballistic Tips in the 270 Win this year, and I'm relatively confident in them, but I'm running heavy-for-caliber bullets and they're not going at warp speed, either. For my 264WM where I do have them pushed pretty hard, I went to the Accubond, specifically because they are moving so fast.

I guess my point is, there's just a little bit of caution to be used with "standard" bullets in the 270wsm, especially if not going heavy for caliber. Just don't run them hot/fast, or issues may occur.

Of course, then the next logical question becomes "why use a Short Mag if you're just going to run 270 Winchester velocities?"

The answer, in my head, is that a 270WSM can be used to mimic a 270 Win pretty effectively, but you'll never have the option to imitate a 270WSM using a 270 Win. You can run moderate offerings with "standard" bullets for deer and do very well, and then push down the gas pedal and use premium bullets if desired, or for larger animals like elk and moose.

Imagine the wound channel from a 150gr Nosler Partition, or like-sized Hornady Interbond, clocking 3150fps, give or take. It would be a very decisive kill on deer, I can assure you, and likely would do just fine on bigger critters.

·
Super Moderator
7,820 Posts
pinehunter said:
tdd, it is a used Super Shadow. Wasn't sure I would be a fan of the design of that synthetic stock, but it really is one of the best synthetic stocks I've seen in terms of quality so I can get over those goofy swirls on the butt of the rifle. I do however like the raised grip dots on the grip and fore end.
If you're digging it, that's all that matters, man!

If that rifle starts to see its groups open up in time, the first place I'd look would be the bedding, however. Those stocks can be challenging in that regard. As long as it's working, don't worry about it. If....IF....you notice a change, have someone who's worked on such things give it a look-see. Until you notice any changes, though, don't sweat it. Even if those issues would appear, I've never seen the rifles become unsuitable for hunting, they just aren't as precise as they once were.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Best of luck with the new gun! I like 270's as I have the standard and the Weatherby. Some day I may get the one in the middle. I do have a 300 WSM and a 300 WM, both also fine rounds.

I usually run 130's or 140's in the 270 Win and roll with 150's and 160's in the Bee. The Bee is one of my fav's as I too like something different at times!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I agree with the possibilty of failure with standard cup n' core bullets at 270 short mag velocities. That's why I went with the trophy copper bullets in 130 grain. Shouldn't get any separation there. The rifling still looks very strong in my rifle and the previous owner routinely killed deer with it at 300+ yards so for now accuracy seems to be intact. I will shoot it this weekend to prove it to myself hopefully though. That's what's most important.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts