The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be buying either of these guns. Can you guys tell me if the 270 sm kicks like a 270? I have a 270 Rem model 760 and that thing kicks like crazy and is not fun to shoot at all. The gun would be for around PA, bear and dear hunting. Tell me what gun you would buy and why

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Well the model 760, 6, 7600's all seems to kick harder than most others rifles due to stock design and a metal or plastic butt pad. Swap out the stocks for synthetic ones with a recoil pad or just add a recoil pad and they are a different gun recoil wise. I have a 7600 carbine in '06 that was very uncomfortable to shoot with the factory non-butt-pad and I put a synthetic stock and cushy pad on it and it is like shooting a .243.
I own a Tikka T-3 in 270wsm and recoil is not bad at all. it is very accurate, flat shooting and I would go after anything with it that I would go after with a 7mm mag or 7mm wsm. Either one would serve you well and is a coin flip in performance. MAYBE if hunting BIG Moose the 7mm might have an advantage with heavier bullets, but then I'd go .30 cal magnum or larger anyway.

·
Banned
19,532 Posts
Mackenzie said:
I am going to be buying either of these guns. Can you guys tell me if the 270 sm kicks like a 270? I have a 270 Rem model 760 and that thing kicks like crazy and is not fun to shoot at all. The gun would be for around PA, bear and dear hunting. Tell me what gun you would buy and why
you shouldn't buy anything, you already have the ultimate PA rifle, a Rem 760 in 270. I also have one.

I also have several other rifles, and the 760 doesn't kick any more than the 30-06, 7mm Mag, 300 RUM, or the 12 ga slug.

You will triple the price of ammo if you don't reload.

But, if you must find another gun, just find one you love, there's basically no differance between a 270 WSM and a 7 WSM.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
If you think your 760 kicks hard in 270 don't even bother looking at either the 270 WSM or the 7mm WSM. With weight being equal both will kick a lot harder than a 270 win.

I find my 760 in 270 rather pleasant to shoot with the blued steel butt plate.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
HOW about neither!!!! All that boom, powder, expensive little fat cases and for what..not much in the balistic advantage, you lucky if it's 150 fps...The cost of factory ammo alone is good enough reason not to buy either. For hunting in PA or most of the USA a good ole' 30/06 in a 760 will take care of just about anything you want at a fraction of the cost of those two. In these days of economics entering into the hunting and shooting world those are just the cold hard facts..everytime I'm at one of the "big stores" I laugh when I see $59.00-$99.00 for a box of twenty shells..it's sad and completely uncalled for, the ammo companies just got ya over a barrel, pardon the pun...rediculous! Heck, these $309.00 rifles, scope and all, like the Savage Edge will work just fine, remember your shooting at a volleyball sized target not benchrest shooting..just not need to spend $1000.00 for a deer rifle.

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
mfuff said:
Well the model 760, 6, 7600's all seems to kick harder than most others rifles due to stock design and a metal or plastic butt pad. Swap out the stocks for synthetic ones with a recoil pad or just add a recoil pad and they are a different gun recoil wise. I have a 7600 carbine in '06 that was very uncomfortable to shoot with the factory non-butt-pad and I put a synthetic stock and cushy pad on it and it is like shooting a .243.
I own a Tikka T-3 in 270wsm and recoil is not bad at all. it is very accurate, flat shooting and I would go after anything with it that I would go after with a 7mm mag or 7mm wsm. Either one would serve you well and is a coin flip in performance. MAYBE if hunting BIG Moose the 7mm might have an advantage with heavier bullets, but then I'd go .30 cal magnum or larger anyway.

You mean there are small ones?

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
I agree, if I had any sort of .270 or .30-06 I wouldn't still be searching for anything. They are both the answer to the question here in PA. Although in the .270's case I'd load the 150's for bear, but that's fine too.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
moosehunter said:
mfuff said:

You mean there are small ones?
LOL
Well an immature bull or cow moose from Maine or Wyoming is small compared to a mature Alaskan/Yukon Bull moose.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
HOW about neither!!!! All that boom, powder, expensive little fat cases and for what..not much in the balistic advantage, you lucky if it's 150 fps...The cost of factory ammo alone is good enough reason not to buy either.
I get an honest and chronographed 3402-3412fps out of my 270wsm and 130gr TSX bullets. The load is no where near max pressure. I have not been able to come within 150fps of that with any 270win 130gr load. Even the Hornady Super Performance(light magnum replacement) falls 200fps short of 3400fps.
Similar ammo for each is within $4-$8 per box.

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
I have a 270 and 270wsm. Below are some calculated recoil levels from this site http://www.chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htm , the 270wsm has slightly more calculated recoil but my guess is if you compare a 270 in a 760 (used to have one in 06) against a 270wsm in a bolt, you may find the wsm has less felt recoil between those 2 choices.

rifle weight, recoil energy ftlb, recoil velocity fps

270 Win. (130 at 3140) 8.0 16.5 n/a
.270 Win. (140 at 3000) 8.0 17.1 11.7
.270 Win. (150 at 2900) 8.0 17.0 11.7
.270 WSM (130 at 3275) 8.0 18.7 12.3
.270 WSM (150 at 3000) 8.0 18.9 12.3
7mm WSM (140 at 3200) 8.0 20.7 12.9
7mm WSM (160 at 3000) 8.0 21.9 13.3
300 WSM (150 at 3300) 8.25 22.5 13.3
.300 WSM (180 at 2970) 7.25 27.1 15.5
.300 WSM (180 at 2970) 8.25 23.8 13.6
.300 WinMag.(150 at 3320) 8.5 23.5 13.3
.300 WinMag.(165 at 3110) 8.0 26.2 14.5
.300 WinMag.(180 at 2960) 8.5 25.9 14.0

As a loader ammo availability and cost have a zero factor in my choice of a cartridge. With that I just don't have a desire to ever again buy a standard long action when I can have equivalent magnum level performance (or less if that is my choice) in a short action. I also have never bought a magnum because of its "power", excepting my 375. I choose a magnum solely for its long range ballistics. The higher velocity allows me a greater tolerance in screwing up the distance and wind estimation in different terrains. Faster and higher bc bullets allow me to hit better despite my estimating deficiencies.

The 7wsm never caught on but I don't care about that, the only reason I went with a 270wsm is because despite months of searching by myself and a few big name outfits (Cabelas has a gun search group) I was unable to find one of the few Sako 75 Finnlights in 7wsm. So as second choice I went with the 270wsm. But I would take a quality lightweight 7wsm in a heartbeat. I perceive no practical field advantage in stepping up to the next recoil level of a 30 cal. The 7mm bullets have extremely good bc and sd w/o 30 cal recoil.

If the discussion is really limited to Pa, like one of the above poster stated, the 708 in a lightweight bolt is a very good choice. You'll likely not use the extra ballistic advantage of a wsm unless you like the long shots, out to 300yd a standard cartridge is just fine.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Neither, they are just coones of your 270 win. If you want another rifle go bigger or smaller. since recoil might be a concern, I'd go smaller. Get either a 243 or 223 for varmints, or get a 30-30 for deer. I own lots of rifles but I still try to bracket my existing collection.

It you want a deer rifle that kicks less than your 270 win, try the 260 Remington, a great 6.5 round that drops deer like a cannon. If you reload, and maybe you shoould think about this, then you can reduce the kick on that gamemaster by cutting back a little on the powder. PA deer will never see the difference in 300-400 fps less, but your shooulder will.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
That reduced recoil ammo is not a good choice for bear. I think the remmie bullets are 115grain for the .270 and I would not trust them on anything but a guaranteed double lung shot. The federal load looks a little more promising with a heavier bullet weight.

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
mfuff said:
That reduced recoil ammo is not a good choice for bear. I think the remmie bullets are 115grain for the .270 and I would not trust them on anything but a guaranteed double lung shot.

good point.

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
mfuff said:
I get an honest and chronographed 3402-3412fps out of my 270wsm and 130gr TSX bullets.

Wow, that's movin!....But time to get back to the guys concerns.....I think the case of the hard kicking 270 may be partially due to the rifle itself, the 760...Some folks claim that they kick like mules...I never really minded mine, but many folks do...Sad to say , that if a mild cartridge like a 270 bothers you at the shoulder, maybe you need to drop to a 243 and stick to deer hunting with it.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I think, actually I know, the key to those velocities is the TSX bullet and those relief bands. I have to drop 4 grains less powder with every other 130gr bullet but the TSX's are not even showing signs of being a warm load.
Rifle fit and stock design can make or break you at the bench that is for sure.

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
Big Ken said:
mfuff said:
I get an honest and chronographed 3402-3412fps out of my 270wsm and 130gr TSX bullets.

Wow, that's movin!....But time to get back to the guys concerns.....I think the case of the hard kicking 270 may be partially due to the rifle itself, the 760...Some folks claim that they kick like mules...I never really minded mine, but many folks do...Sad to say , that if a mild cartridge like a 270 bothers you at the shoulder, maybe you need to drop to a 243 and stick to deer hunting with it.

He ought to get a Marlin XL7. They are a total pussycat. I can't even believe I'm shooting a .270 when I pull the trigger.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I have a win mod 70 in 7mm wsm it kicks but its not bad. Has a synth stock and a nice recoil pad to me it dont kick anymore than a 270. On the range you notice it a little but shooting at game i dont ever feel recoil. Only prob with the 7wsm ammo cost a little more and its getting harder to find. Which has me thinking of trading it in on a 7mm rem mag or a 300 win. The 7wsm is a great deer cal puts them down hard and it is a awsome long range cal.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts