The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a .270 NEF and was wondering if anyone has any experience with these. I'm trying to find the most accurate ammo for it. I've tried winchester super x and federal soft point the blue box next is the core lokt.Any input is appreciated.

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
I hope you got a better one than I did. I ordered a brand new .270 Handi and it shot 3"-4" groups @100 yards. I passed it on.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
diablo666 said:
Moosemike why didn't you contact them and have them fix it?
Good luck with that. Since Remington bought them they have had terrible customer service. The gardner Mass plant was great to work with when you had a problem. Now they basically tell you to go pound sand and to them a rifle shooting 3-4" at 100 yards is in spec so they would just ship it back to you (in about 2-3 months).

I have a bunch of handi rifles and if you tinker with them you can usually get them to shoot, but out of the box they are a crap shoot. I've had a few shooters and a bunch that were not. I don't have any 270's so I can't help there but a few things to check, make sure the stock bolt is tight, many came from the factory loose, check latch engagement and make sure it is even all the way across, if not lightly stone the high side, you can float the forarm but some of them shoot alright with it as is, make sure you rest it just infront of the hinge not out too far on the forend, they are hold sensitive if the forend is not floated. Lastly if you reload, almost every handi rifle I've had has quite a bit of freebore, they tend to shoot best when you load the bullet out a bit. Some of the ones I've had were so long throated I could't get to the lands setting the bullet out in front of the case.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Unscrew the forearm. put a rubber washer in between the barrel n the forearm. Watch the tite groups u get. Gota float for these rifles to shoot.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
I have to handi one a 30-06 the other a BC 38-55 both guns are tack drivers.
My 30-06 will tack drives bullets from the bench
My 38-55 I shot out to 500 yards using lead and starline brass hold a great 12" groupe with peep sights.
I also had and I say had a 7MM-08 barrel ,the barrel best groupe was about 11/2" to 3" at the 100 yd target.I tried a few powders and different bullets but it would never do what I was looking for.I did sell it and moved on to a new 1999 243 cal. barrel seem to be mint was purchased for a young shooter hew out grew it in a year maybe the barrel has 75 rounds down the tube.I yet have tried it more then likley it will be next year project.
I find handi barrel are a luck on the draw,I hope you have a shooter there ;good luck

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
I had got an awesome H&R Ultra hunter in 450 Marlin that would just about shoot through the same hole at 50 yards. And I got a pretty good H&R Ultra varmint .223 that was minute of angle. But I stayed away from NEF since that .270. I know they're the same but I think they put more love into the H&R's.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
moosemike said:
I know they're the same but I think they put more love into the H&R's.
That's possible. The ones stamped H&R usually had better finish and better wood. I never noticed any difference in how they shot though.

·
Registered
18 Posts
hello, i bought a h&r 270 and finally got to take it to the range, the groups were not all that great. i have did a ton of research about what new rifle i was going to get. i set out to pay a decent amount for a good rifle but the handi felt nice and every review said they were accurate and i like the single shots. i have found a web site that has tons of info on the h&r/nef guns. they talk about braking hte barrel in and said it could take 80 rounds or so to get it shooting tight. not sure what the rules are here about sending links to other sites but my email is [email protected] i can send it to you there.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I've seen several H&R barrels that didn't show their accuracy potential until they had 200-300 rounds through them. They are a little rough in the bore, a good lapping does speed things up some.

·
Registered
12,140 Posts
I have a 40 year old H&R Shikari (45-70) which is great. Some factory ammo isn't all that accurate in it. I found that solid lead bullets work better than jacketed factory ammo. I bought a box of Federal 45-70 ammo and couldn't hit a pie pan at 100 yds, loaded up some solid lead 405 grain bullets and Bingo.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Them Handi's are kinda finecky(?) Things that affect accurcy of the bench.
Rest the fore end close to the receiver.
Do NOT oil the latch!!!
Tighten fore end screw the same each time you take it off.
There's more but thats a start.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I have a Handi rifle in .243 that would change its point of impact 14" @ 100 yds. as it got dirty (5 shots) When I cleaned it it would shoot to its original point of impact. Lapping the barrel seems to have corrected this problem, but I often wondered if others have had similar experience??? Now it shoots 1"-2" @ 100 yds and I thinks most of the variability is my fault as I don't shoot it much. I won the gun on a raffle and it is a handy little gun to carry.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts