The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now I love the big bores but I have a 270 carbine that shoots lights out with Barnes tsx 150 grains. Would you guys feel under gunned for bear in pa ??????

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
No, I'd feel confident. Took 2 with mine in WV. .270 is a great caliber.

Reactions: hunterdan199

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
The nut behind the bolt makes a big difference. You're using a good penetrating bullet so as long as you can make a good shot it should be fine. IMO it's important to take out BOTH lungs on a bear. Even a deer can go a long way with a one lung hit. Having spent a good amount of time in a Maine bear camp I've seen several non-recovered with hits from 270s.... but there's lots of variables. The guide there will no longer guide hunters with less than a 28 caliber shooting at least a 170 grain bullet. Quite a few lost with bow hits also. Take from that what you will. I do not think a 270 is plenty, but it should do the job with the bullet you're using and a double lung hit.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
I’ve seen three bull elk killed with a 760 in .270, all with one shot. I’ve also killed a bear with a .243 and 100 grain Sierra spitzers.

·
Registered
340 Posts
270 will kill a bear but welcome to pa. if it runs a hundred yds. and someone else shoots it's his! If you have a larger caliber take it!

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
The 150 grain is a larger bullet for the 270 and the Barnes will lose no weight. That combo will penetrate all day. I'd say, you're in great shape. With a 130 lead bullet, I'd want a little more. 150 grain Barnes, no problem.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Was thinking of using it to push cause I just can’t use my big bore to push heavy stuff rather use the 35 Whelen or 338 mag when standing. My 270 is well used.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It’s just I know the nasty narly thick stuff bears like to hide don’t want to use some pretty rifle with nice scope to push those area might even just use a pump 20 or 12 gauge just to push. 12 gauge sabot will sit a bears on its ***

·
Registered
59 Posts
The only difference between a .270 and a .30-06 for bear is that your shot placement becomes even more critical with the .270.

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
The only difference between a .270 and a .30-06 for bear is that your shot placement becomes even more critical with the .270.
Well, there is that little fact that you can use a 220 gr. bullet in the .30/06.

Hunterdan-
For PA bears, as all big game, bullet construction is more important than caliber. I'd rather have a .243 Win. with the right bullet than a .30/06 with the wrong bullet.

Your setup will be fine for PA bear.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Well, there is that little fact that you can use a 220 gr. bullet in the .30/06.

Hunterdan-
For PA bears, as all big game, bullet construction is more important than caliber. I'd rather have a .243 Win. with the right bullet than a .30/06 with the wrong bullet.

Your setup will be fine for PA bear.
Yes, but I would rather have a .30-06 with the right bullet than any of the smaller calibers. It never ceases to amaze me that people who have a choice would want to go with the smallest caliber theoretically possible for a large animal, thereby increasing the chance of wounding it with a non lethal shot. Having the right bullet is a given. I know, it's all about shot placement. Well, in the field we can't always be perfect. Imperfect shots do happen, more often than most of us are willing to admit.

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Yes, but I would rather have a .30-06 with the right bullet than any of the smaller calibers. It never ceases to amaze me that people who have a choice would want to go with the smallest caliber theoretically possible for a large animal, thereby increasing the chance of wounding it with a non lethal shot. Having the right bullet is a given. I know, it's all about shot placement. Well, in the field we can't always be perfect. Imperfect shots do happen, more often than most of us are willing to admit.
I agree with everything in your post with the exception of having the right bullet is a given. Too many hunters go afield with the wrong bullet. Many go into the field with the wrong bullet thinking they made the right choice! That's what amazes me more than choosing a small caliber when a larger caliber is available. But a larger caliber is certainly no disadvantage.

That being said I really don't think a 150 grain well constructed bullet at descent velocity is inadequate for bear. If that's all the hunter had on hand, no need to buy a new rifle to accommodate PA black bear. Although it may be a good excuse.:smile_big:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts