The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
485 Posts
don't own any for hunting. all of mine are either 1903a3/a4 or m1garands. all for various vintage rifle competitions. hunt with a 243.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,722 Posts
my bet is the 30-06 will win this poll
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,691 Posts
i have both. although i have been hunting for almost 40 years, i just bought an '06 last year and have yet to get a deer with it. the 270 on the other hand, i have owned since 1982 and have taken a truckload of deer with it. the 270 with 130 corelokts is serious deer medicine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,275 Posts
I own both and use both every year.

.30-06 in bear season, and the .270 in deer season.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
398 Posts
I own both. I use the .270 for deer. It has tight groups. So, I haven't fired the '06 yet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,116 Posts
SpiritNugent said:
I own both and use both every year.

.30-06 in bear season, and the .270 in deer season.
That is unless you see a bear in deer season right? LOL
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,823 Posts
I have owned several of each over the years. My 270 right now is a WSM. My 06 is a Rem 7600 carbine. Both the 30/06 Springfield and the 270 Winchester are FINE cartridges. I predict a near tie!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,275 Posts
bearschlayerx2 said:
SpiritNugent said:
I own both and use both every year.

.30-06 in bear season, and the .270 in deer season.
That is unless you see a bear in deer season right? LOL
Very true... that's why I like my Nosler Partitions


That 130 grain did a number on that bear


Never underestimate the .270
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
699 Posts
I piled up a bunch of dear with my 270 with 130 gr. Federals. The 270 / 130 gr. combo just flat out works. Not much of a 30-06 fan, just never got that warm and fuzzy feeling with it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,331 Posts
valkrider88 said:
I piled up a bunch of dear with my 270 with 130 gr. Federals. The 270 / 130 gr. combo just flat out works. Not much of a 30-06 fan, just never got that warm and fuzzy feeling with it.
Same here!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
398 Posts
'06 should win the poll. Been around longer by about 20[correction] years give or take.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,891 Posts
I own a .270. I've shot 23 deer with it since 1996. Nothing wrong with a 30.06 either. Just a matter of personal preference. The nice thing about an .06 is that you go to 180 or larger grain bullets for larger game. That having been said, I think the .270 is the perfect whitetail deer cartridge.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
681 Posts
I have owned both for over 50 years. Actually I have several of each. I use the .270 with 130gr CoreLokts for deer but prefer the 30-06 for elk using 150 or 180gr CoreLokts. I have shot three elk with the .270 but prefer 30 caliber elk. Both are great calibers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
691 Posts
I have killed a mess of them with an '06 150 gr core lokt. Seems to work just fine for me! It is my go to when archery season doesn't fill the freezer up!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
13,401 Posts
MrC said:
'06 should win the poll. Been around longer by about 50 years give or take.
Nope. The '06 is only 21 years older than the .270.

I have both and love both.
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top