The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any first hand experience with 110 grain bullets out of a .270 for whitetail?
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
12,658 Posts
If they are the right bullet type they should take a whitetail. I have taken several with a 100 grain 243. However group them. 270's often prefer a 130 grain for accuracy, but every gun is different. If they don't shoot up to par the price of ammunition is small compared the the cost of everything else.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,952 Posts
A 110gr Barnes TSX is a wicked whitetail bullet
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
13,401 Posts
myank said:
Does anyone have any first hand experience with 110 grain bullets out of a .270 for whitetail?

I don't know what a 110 grain could do that a good 130 could not do better? A 130 would certainly have less drop at long range making those long shots easier and the 130 kills the 110 in SD. The question then becomes why just like with the .30 125 grain? I also don't care if they do blow big holes in 120 pound deer. What do they do in the case of a 220 pound deer? Now that's what I'm talking about.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,815 Posts
Sort of agree with Moose. The TSX is not a good deer bullet, if you are handloading most any other bullet would be a better deer choice. the all copper bullet expand very eradic, especially on smaller game like whitetail. A 130 grain Cor-lok would be significantly better.

Have fun cleaning that barrel.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,284 Posts
Harrysigafoo said:
Sort of agree with Moose. The TSX is not a good deer bullet, if you are handloading most any other bullet would be a better deer choice. the all copper bullet expand very eradic, especially on smaller game like whitetail. A 130 grain Cor-lok would be significantly better.

Have fun cleaning that barrel.
That Sir, is probably one of the most laughable and inaccurate statements I have ever read, certainly written from a complete point of ignorance!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,284 Posts
moosehunter said:
Tundra, do you ever have anything nice to say to anybody?
Off the topic but never really thought about it, maybe you could elaborate with some more posts about it.

But I'll stick with my previous comment 100%.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
13,401 Posts
I'll just use an example to make my point. I seldom agree with Big Ken on bullet choices. He doesn't see it my way either. But we disagree completely without ever resorting to name calling or condescending remarks. We don't have to resort to that to disagree. We just disagree and move on. I'll even say I respect Ken's knowledge and experience on firearms very much. We just see bullet selection through a different lens. Just an example. We do razz each other a little on here though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,952 Posts
LOLOL
The 110TSX is JUST as good on penetration as any conventional lead core 130gr .277 diameter bullet.
Anyone that can say the TSX's, especially the light for caliber ones, are not good whitetail bullets have obviously never shot a whitetail with them.
If they did and the bullet "failed".......I'd like to hear the story.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,952 Posts
moosehunter said:
myank said:
Does anyone have any first hand experience with 110 grain bullets out of a .270 for whitetail?

I don't know what a 110 grain could do that a good 130 could not do better? A 130 would certainly have less drop at long range making those long shots easier and the 130 kills the 110 in SD. The question then becomes why just like with the .30 125 grain? I also don't care if they do blow big holes in 120 pound deer. What do they do in the case of a 220 pound deer? Now that's what I'm talking about.
The 125gr .30 cal is not a great deer bullet UNLESS it would happen to be a TSX , GMX or similar bullet built to be used on big game. Most 125gr .30cal bullets are for shooting varmints.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,781 Posts
I'll repeat what I said in another thread....For years, this George Block fellow from Washington County wrote stories in Game news about his deer hunting experiences...Several times he mentioned using the Sierra 110 gr. Spire point in back of a healthy dose of IMR-4350 in his 270 for long range deer hunting...Enamoured by both his stories ,and the 270, I tried his load and was lucky enough to shoot a buck three years in a row with them (In the woods, however)..All three deer flopped at the shot, of which two were hit behind the shoulder and one hit the neck...The two behind the shoulder both exhibited huge, gaping exit holes, in fact, a hunter who came along right after I shot one of the bucks said "What the H*** did you shoot that thing with!"...I'd probably still be hunting with these bullets if not for the 130 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip, which I've had a romance with ever since they came out..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
953 Posts
Good post Ken, I think I've read every article George Block wrote using the 110 gr. sierra bullet in his 270. Why anyone thinks you have to use a bullet for deer that costs over a $1.00 appiece is beyond me.
Drags
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,815 Posts
Deer are very easy to kill. anything will work. the TSX does blow up, it just doesn't expand, so it you don't want expansion use them, that is why African guides like them. But for deer in any cartridge, there are much better choices.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,467 Posts
Lighter bullets for the caliber shoot best with a slow twist. A .270 with a 110 gr. bullet should work well with the 1-12" or slower twist. My first rifle which I bought at age 18, was a .270 Sako with 12" twist. It loved the Sierra 90 and 110 gr. bullets. Heavier bullets were not as accurate. I killed many groundhogs with the 90 grainer and a good number of deer with the 110 grain bullet.
 
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Top