The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seen an ad for it in a mag.Never heard of it before.It is a scorcher and claims it shoots flat and fast out to over 400yds.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Yeah. It's new.

Can't see it gaining much of a following or, really, even surviving very long. I don't see the major manufacturers chambering their bolt guns for it.

The 7-STW has been around for a while and was offered by most of the major gun companies. It is clinging to life these days. The 26 Nosler offers nothing the 7-STW can't do as well or better.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Strut10 nailed it. There's really nothing the 26 Nosler does that the 7STW does better with a larger bullet. If you decide to buy one don't shoot it, keep the box and paperwork and in 100 years will be worth a small fortune

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
FWIW............. Remington has another run of 700 SPS rifles out in 7-STW.

If you're looking for a butt-whoopin', heck-for-flat shooting rifle............ do yourself a favor.

·
Registered
5,790 Posts
I was doing some poking around on it also to obtain some information. Everything sounds good at first but few things to look at. How much will it out perform the 264WM? Take in to consideration brass costs, dies, etc. good chance not worth it. If your looking at it as being a 26 caliber fan for awhile I would be loading up the 264 WM to see how far you could take it. If your not a big 26 guy there are others calibers to choose from that is flat shooting. I seen flags go when they started to talk about a 300 yard zero it would only drop 7" at 400 yards. In todays world and I do a lot of lr shooting a 300 yard zero is un needed. Especially when we have rangefinders, ballastic reticles, turrents, etc.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
According to a few articles in American Rifleman, the barrel life is estimated at between 600-800 rounds. So if you plan on shooting it, plan on paying for a replacement barrel.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
uncysid said:
According to a few articles in American Rifleman, the barrel life is estimated at between 600-800 rounds. So if you plan on shooting it, plan on paying for a replacement barrel.
that exactly what the nosler rep told me when I was talking to him at the outdoors show, and brass lifes not there either, as he told me its not a 06

·
Registered
5,790 Posts
As far as barrel life a couple of ways to look at it. Say you shoot 40-50 rounds for load work up and place gun back in safe. Deer season comes along 3-4 shots for sight in go hunting in 2 states fire 3 shots. At 500 rounds of life this gun could be passed down to your great grand kids in order and still be in tact. Other side of coin it has a trigger have to shoot it. I have many high vel. rifles that theory has short life but it doesent keep me from doing it if I want it. If you are going to worry about barrel life do not go with it.

·
Super Moderator
7,841 Posts
RobOz said:
1000 rounds of slow fire is way different than a 1000 rounds shot on a hot afternoon prairie doggin.
Exactly.

I can run my 264WM up to 3200fps for a 140gr Nosler Accubond. That's the ragged edge for that particular rifle (it's a Winchester M70). 3100 is a more reasonable expectation for the 264 Maggie.

From what I've seen on the 26N, they are claiming capability of 3400fps for the 140's. That's moving out fast....but....

I just got my 264 late last summer, and I shot one deer in the fall with it, a doe in South Carolina, with that load (140AB at 3200fps MV). The damage was absolutely horrific. My 300H&H didn't do that kind of damage with a 180PT at 3000fps. I would imagine the 26N is more intended for guys who's shots start at 200-300 and go from there, and I would wager that such hunting scenarios are way outside the norm for PA hunters.

I have mixed feelings on the cartridge, but....the market will determine its future. I think it has a better chance than things like the 30TC ever had, but it does have an uphill climb, for sure. The 264WM has barely clung to existence, so I'm not sure what will make the 26 Nosler fare better....but I hope it does. I just think it's cool. I won't be buying one, lol, but I think it's a cool round.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
As with just about anything gunny, it's all about want not need. I would think it would make a nice long range sporter. Though, your 264 WM that you posted pics of last year is just about a perfect/beautiful long range sporter too. I think there are more guys getting into the long range game and we are definitely seeing the companies going after the market. Also, PA has deep roots in long range hunting.

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
Strut10 said:

If you're looking for a butt-whoopin', heck-for-flat shooting rifle............ do yourself a favor.
Odd that Remington would not be pushing their own 7 RUM instead of the STW.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Big Ken said:
Strut10 said:

Odd that Remington would not be pushing their own 7 RUM instead of the STW.
Odder yet that they wouldn't do another run of 7-STW brass to go with the rifles.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I'll stick with the STW over the RUM any day. Far less recoil for just a little difference in speed wins my vote, especially for the distances I'm comfortable with. The 26N is interesting, though - just have to wait and see how it holds in the market.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts