The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<span style='font-family: Arial Black'>Thoughts on comparing these two calipers....I'll be using it for whitetail hunting here in PA....

Thanks....</span>

·
Registered
8 Posts
I use a .270 with 150grn power points. Knocks em straight down. Never had a deer take another step. I tried 140grn once! never again. Close shot, buller burned right through the buck. never found him or a blood trail. In closing.. for PA, Heaver is better than faster..my pinion

·
Registered
373 Posts
I have a .260 used It on mule deer,whitetails.and caribou.Works fine.According to the gun rags the creedmore is better of course everything newer is better.I use Nosler 120 BT or 129 Hornady.Glad I never used any of the dreaded 140s don't want to burn thru a deer

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
There's not enough difference to matter. The Creedmoor may have a "better" case design in theory but they are ballistic twins otherwise.

·
Banned
751 Posts
same thoughts as woodchuckhunter, ballistically nearly identical, supposed better case design with the 6.5. if you can find a deer that knows the difference betwen a 260 and a 6.5 let me know. off the subject my 8 year old shot 2 deer with my 25-06 with a 100 grain tsx and i was very happy with the results. totally jellied the insides of both deer. 1 went 6 feet and the other about 60 yards, neither were great shots.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
You know your stuff!! Yes they are 1 in the same. Case difference in neck and tapper of case body is the difference. Cmoor is smaller then .260 I mean shorter but the taper makes them about the same. If you were to fill both with water they'ed hold the same even thow the Cmoor is a shorter case. Cmoor trim lth. 1.910 .260 is 2.025. They are one in the same I guess....later

·
Registered
485 Posts
for a long range target rifle go the creedmoor. for hunting a toss-up. on a sidebar, the 6.5/.264 bullet size has never gone over big in usa. i wonder why?

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Your right too. Now the bullets are there. Me the guy that use'es the ol stand by's .222,220,.270 is in the middle of a Cmoor build. I never liked any cartridge that had a mm on it. Just didn't seem American enough. In early 2000 like 2005 I think I went total nuts and bought a .300RUM. Not like me to do. Always thought I'ed get a .300win. Did another off the wall thing and got hooked on the Cmoor. The more I researched it the more I liked it. I'm on another forum that is all .264 cartridge's and the huntin is what I mostly read about and the new and improved .264 bullets do do a job. The reloadin posts are good too. My Cmoor is runnin a 26' barrel if I ever get it from smith I'll crony it and see what it's doin. I'll play with the loads some to get it shootin for sure. Again why the lack luster .264 intrest is funny. That .264 Mags. smoke a bullet and never went good is beyond me. Lot's of guy's out west shoot .264's I've noticed...later

·
Registered
483 Posts
overthehill said:
for a long range target rifle go the creedmoor. for hunting a toss-up. on a sidebar, the 6.5/.264 bullet size has never gone over big in usa. i wonder why?
The 6.5s have never gone over big in the USA because of the 270 guys. Everyone wants the gun that they can go to Kmart and buy shells for regardless of performance. I mean the 280 out performs the 270 all the way around and it has much better bullet options with the 7mm yet it never caught on...Because the Kmart crew cant get shells for it.

I had a 30-06 before I bought my 260 and with hand loads I can get my 260 to way out perform the 06 on whitetails...in fact every deer I shot with that 06 ran at least 40 yards...they dont take a step with the 260. So much for the bigger is better crowds.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
You might be right BUT, I'ed think the .257R and 25.06 is what is wrong. If I remember the .280 was developed for auto rifles. I'm open minded to other cartridges but the .270 has hung in since what 1925 or so. I've learned over the years don't compare the .270 to anything. The .270 stands alone. The .270 is as American as Apple Pie, Let it go....later

·
Registered
654 Posts
There isn't enough difference between the .260, the 6.5 creedmoor, or the 6.5x55 to matter. And the ammunition selection for each is relatively limited unless you handload. Assuming you are not considering a custom, research what rifles are chambered in a 6.5mm and buy the rifle you prefer. Most don't chamber more than one 6.5mm.

I really wanted a TC Icon in the 6.5 creedmoor but they seem to be non-existent. So I ordered a Howa 1500 in 6.5x55 last year and have been happy with it.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
got 1 knocked said:
I use a .270 with 150grn power points. Knocks em straight down. Never had a deer take another step. I tried 140grn once! never again. Close shot, buller burned right through the buck. never found him or a blood trail. In closing.. for PA, Heaver is better than faster..my pinion

Sounds like bad shot placement. I've shot deer in PA with 130 grain Core-Lokts with great results.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Performance is important to me when choosing a new gun. However, let's not forget why some of us buy some of our guns and that is the cool factor. A lot of the accuracy results of a chosen cartridge depends on what the shooter does with what he has anyway. Seems to me that the small differences in performance in these two and some other similar pairs of cartridges are no different than the ones we see in Car Mags. 10 horsepower more? .3 faster 0-60? Do these differences really matter all that much? I think not as much as we might argue. Hot button.
Right now my HB (caliber wise) could be pressed by a 6.5 Creedmoor bolt action rifle. To me it just has the cool factor. If I can find one that I like the 'look and feel' of the rifle, I will buy it. .260 is a proven performer, just not for me. If you like it, good for you.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I am a huge 6.5 fan I have owned 5 6.5-284s 2 6.5x55 & 1 6.5-06. I still have one of each I probably have 15+ deer rifles ranging from 243 - 338 Lapua Improved. If I know my shots are going to be under 400 yards I always find myself carrying the same gun...
Tikka T3 Lite stainless in 6.5x55 loaded with 120gr ballistic tips. Drops them in there tracks with no excessive noise or recoil. Bang, flop, gut & drag. Hasn't let me down in 3 years. Even shot a trotting antelope at 405 yard. DRT!!

·
Registered
398 Posts
hankster said:
I am a huge 6.5 fan I have owned 5 6.5-284s 2 6.5x55 & 1 6.5-06. I still have one of each I probably have 15+ deer rifles ranging from 243 - 338 Lapua Improved. If I know my shots are going to be under 400 yards I always find myself carrying the same gun...
Tikka T3 Lite stainless in 6.5x55 loaded with 120gr ballistic tips. Drops them in there tracks with no excessive noise or recoil. Bang, flop, gut & drag. Hasn't let me down in 3 years. Even shot a trotting antelope at 405 yard. DRT!!
What fps do you like to load for the Tikka 6.5 X 55?

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
I'm still findin my load for 120gr. Loadin H4350, then I'll crony and see. My Cmoor is sportin 26" barrel 1-8 twist.....later

·
Registered
162 Posts
The 260 is my go to deer gun. I shoot a handload of the Nosler 125 gr Partition over 43 gr of IMR 4350 for a velocity of 2835 fps. This is extremely accurate in my Remington Model 7. I have never had a deer take a step after being hit with this load. I don' care for the Nosler 120 gr Ballistic Tip bullet. I have had them blow up inside the deer and I prefer two holes, one going in and one going out, for a better blood trail, although I have never had to blood trail a deer with the 125 Gr Partition.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts