The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of getting a 260 Remington in either a Ruger FTW Hunter or a Savage 10 Predator Max 1. I really like the 260 for deer as I have one in a rifle with a short barrel. Both of the rifles I'm considering have 24" barrels. The weight of the gun is not a problem for me. Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Barney

·
Registered
356 Posts
i had a 260 rem in a Thompson Encore, it shot ok. I don't reload and didn't like the ammo selections, seemed it was mostly 140gr and some 120grs but not many. Accuracy of that rifle was ok, it is one of the guns I wish I didn't get rid of. I currently have a 6.5 creedmoor which I like better. bullet selection in grs is better and the gun is more accurate.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I have shot a Remington Model 7 in 260 for quite awhile. Love the caliber and have killed quite a few deer with it. You should be fine as far as barrel length and weight. I am currently shooting Nosler 120 grain ballistic tips and have also shot the Remington 140 grain. I have also shot some reloads in 140 grain. Its a great cartridge you won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply. I like the 120 gr. Ballistic Tips in Federal ammo and will probably reload using that tip or the Hornady 123 gr. SST. I used the 120s on deer and they worked really well.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply. I have the 260 in a Ruger 77 Mk II compact. As I said I really like the cartridge. I like the model 7 Remington and the Savage light weight Hunter but am looking for the longer barrel.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
I have a model 700 mountain rifle with detachable mag and wood stock in .260 Great shooting gun with the 120 ballistic tips.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
My T/C Encore and my son's Savage Model 14 in .260 are both very accurate with with 120 gr. NBT's. We've taken several deer with them since switching from .243's. The Savage 10 would be a great choice. You might also take a look at the Tikka T3 or T3X. Both brands are generally very accurate out of the box.

·
Banned
1,186 Posts
Tikka has one out in a fluted barrel just had one in my hand. Still debating on getting it. Every one who has a tikka that I've talked with really likes them.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Not sure on the twist rate memory isn't always good. It was about 7-8 years ago when I put it together. It is an Adams and Bennett barrel from Midway.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
On their website I looked and about all there models come in a .260. I'm thinking seriously on getting one too. T3 hunter
Thank you. I really like the caliber for deer. I started deer hunting with a 16 gauge (my grandfather's), a borrowed 32 Special (uncle's), a 303 Savage ( my first deer rifle), and have since used an '06, 270 WSM, 7mm-08, and the 260. They've all worked for me. All of my rifles to date have had wood stocks and I'm leaning toward the Savage 10 Predator Hunter max1 with the synthetic accu stock.
Barney

THANKS TO ALL who've responded to this post.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I built an AR-10 platform in .260. I will be working up loads over the winter and hopefully be using it on deer next season.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts