The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering buying a new rifle in 260. I was wondering if anybody had one. What are the pro's or con's. thanks

·
Registered
5,790 Posts
I have one in a model 7 used for a few seasons and tucked it away the day my grandson was born for him. Great Pa. woods caliber killed a few deer with it one shot kills. I reload and used the nosler 100 grain ballistic tip. The 4 deer I killed dropped in there tracks 50- 125 yards.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
I shoot a T/C Encore in .260 and my son shoots a Savage in .260. It's a great caliber for Pa. big game or predators/varmints with mild recoil (little more than .243) . It's not fur-friendly if that's a concern. It's also generally a very accurate round used by many bench shooters. Factory ammo can be hard to find. IMHO it's one of the most under-rated and overlooked hunting calibers in the US, but it's slowly gaining popularity.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Don't own one but I'm working on it....
The 260 is one of those inherently accurate cartridges. It easily has the power for PA big game hunting and it features low recoil.
.264 is just a great caliber. The 142gr features a Ballistic Coefficient of .580. That's some serious flying ability! And what that means is that if you equip the gun properly, you can do 1,000yd shots (at targets) if you so desire.

·
Super Moderator
7,841 Posts
You could also look at a 6.5 Creedmoor or a 6.5x55. You will be told that the 260 Rem can outpace the Swede. That's true, IF you hold to the manuals' data for the Swede, which is capped at very low pressures to account for the possibility that the ammunition will be shot in M96 Mausers and Norwegian Krag-Jorgensen rifles.

Run the Swede up to modern pressures, and you see a different picture. Same thing for the 7x57, which is another superb round.

My father has an M70 featherweight in 6.5x55. Lots of performance, little recoil. I have a 264WM. 270-like recoil, laser flat trajectory, superb accuracy (sub-MOA on paper at 300 yards), and those slippery 6.5mm bullets are absolute killers on any game we'll encounter in PA. I use a 140gr Accubond in the 264. Dad uses a 130AB in his Swede. Both do phenomenally well.

·
Registered
818 Posts
TEC said:
Is a 260 worth having if you don't reload??
Good question..........I'm not sure what factory loadings are available but I do know that I seldom see 260 ammo on the shelves. With no intention of reloading, you may be better served by a more readily available cartridge like a .243.

·
Super Moderator
7,841 Posts
RobOz said:
I would not even consider the 260 Remington for a factory ammo rifle.
Same here. Really, anything in 264/6.5mm is in the same boat in my mind.

If you want to shoot factory, the 308 or 243 are your best bets in the short actions. A 7-08 is ok, but not nearly as easy to find as the 308 or 243. Finding 260 ammo is not easy.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I have shot a .260 rem. since they came out, I used it for a silhouette rifle and it was great. It is a good varmint to big game rifle for Pa. I think it is the closet thing to a Pa. all around rifle that there is (if there is such a thing). With a 100 gr bullet it is a good varmint rifle with .243 type recoil and with a 120,130 or 140 gr. bullet it is a good big game caliber with low recoil. It is accurate and easy to load for.
Drags

·
Registered
5,790 Posts
I would say no due to most of the factory ammo was in larger bullets. I feel the smaller like I mentioned the 100 grainer made it more efficient. I think Remington messed up by not pushing there own caliber 260 Rem.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I don't think I would get one just because of the factory ammo problems. I have a .243 and 7/08 and like the spread. A .308 is all I would need if I hand loaded, but if I hand loaded the 7/08 would be a little better yet using the 100 grain bullets. I don't shoot anything bigger than deer.

Currently have the Micro hunter 7/08 sighted in for 120 grain Fed Fusions; no deer with it yet. Most of my deer get a round ball.

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
I personally believe it is probably the perfect round for PA big game hunting. Short action, lighter guns if wanted, excellent ballistics, great ballistic coefficients, great penetration, plenty for bear and deer here in PA, good selection of bullets, accurate/match shooters love it, feeds well, uses inexpensive 308 brass if you wish to resize and reload, decent factory ammo available with a phone call or internet order, and usually at your local shop if ordered, relatively low recoil vs other popular rounds, Europeans kill moose with the ballistically-identical 6.5x55 for over a hundred years, got more punch than a 243 but as much as a 7-08, blah, blah, blah, blah..........

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Its a super caliber for Pa hunting. I love it, as I love all 6.5's, but it is a round which never needed to be produced. The 260 was a collective "gift" to Jim Carmichael, "from" Remington and other big boys in the industry. He had enough influence to get it done, but the Swede, as mentioned above, was already here and doing exactly the same thing. Nothing against Mr. Carmichael, I love his writing and have met the man, but the caliber is a re-run.

·
Registered
5,790 Posts
Don't you think Remington could of pushed it a little better? I agree with so many of the above posts about this caliber being such a fine Pa. hunting caliber.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts