The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, what are your favorite .260 rem loads, mainly for deer, with the potential of long range(out to 600-700 yards). I've been looking everywhere local for H4350 and its like looking for a rainbow unicorn. So, given those criteria, let me hear some ideas.

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Borden811 said:
Ok, what are your favorite .260 rem loads, mainly for deer, with the potential of long range(out to 600-700 yards). I've been looking everywhere local for H4350 and its like looking for a rainbow unicorn. So, given those criteria, let me hear some ideas.
My goto 6.5-08 A-Square(
) load for goats, Lapua brass,a 120 Nosler Solid bass or Ballistic Tip, H4350, F210.

Finding an honest politician is easier than finding H4350 lately, but in my limited testing last fall you may want to give IMR-4451 a close look. I just haven't had the time to really settle down to play with it but accuracy wise it was H4350's equal or maybe a tad better. Hopefully I will this week.

Bill

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How do the 120 ballistic tips hold up? I know the 120s in 7mm are a very tough bullet, but not sure if that applies to the 6.5 as well?

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
Went with VV-560 and the Nosler 120 BT in my .260. Lapua brass and 210s. First load tried shot a pair of back to back sub-MOA, 3 shot groups and killed a small buck with it. Complete pass through broadside at 40 yds. Deer ran 50' and dead. Got the load from the Accuratereloading forum and it worked. Powder is expensive and not widely available but I have a stash...bullet worked well on a sampling of 1....wouldn't hesitate to continue its use on deer....

·
Premium Member
4,388 Posts
<span style="font-weight: bold"> Lapua brass, 120 Barnes TSX, 44.2 grains of H4350, 50K off lands..

Tried Varget with suitable results...

Barnes bullets are KILLERS in my 7mm-08's,& 30-06, so I went with Barnes.</span>

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, 108gr scenars with a max load of varget shot 1/2 moa at 3050fps, 120gr ttsx with near max load of varget is shooting right around 3/4 inch to an inch at 2950fps, and 130gr accubond is a little over an inch with near max load of h4350 around 2775. I'd like to use the accubonds, but speed and accuracy are not impressive so far. The 120ttsx surprised me with the velocity using the varget. If I can get groups around 1/2" with it, I may just go with it and not look back. I'd just feel better with the accubonds getting more consistent expansion on shots at longer ranges.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I shoot a .260 Ruger and my daughter has a .260 Rem 700. I also shoot a 6.5/06 with a 26 inch Douglas barrel. I have been reloading for these rifles for about 20 years now and we have killed @ 25-30 deer with them mostly in KS and MO and a few in PA.
For the .260's I load either 120 BT or 120 Pro Hunters pushing them with 4831SC upto about 2800 FPS both guns love them and we have never had a deer take a step. And that includes a BC buck at 250 yards out here in KS which with out head hide or legs on the scales was 170 lbs. I have never seen any deer that big before or sense.

I have also used 414 with no luch and H380, Reloader 15, Vargent and several others with no real luck either in the .260's I just got some 4350 to try. I have heard good things about it. Give some 4831sc or straight 4831 a try. I like the Hodgon over IMR as the IMR seems oily and does not feed as well.

Both 260s shoot 100 grain BT upto 3000 fps very well and they are deer killers also. The 6.5/06 shoots the 4831sc really well and will put 3 100 grain BT in a 1 1/2 inch group out to 300 yrds to problem. I have killed deer with it and 100 grain BT out to 400 yards here in KS all DRT. I don't think you will have very many shots like that in PA howwever, here it is common place. Hope this helps.

Oh the 260s also like IMR 4064. But not quite like 4831 but good enough.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have 2 260"s one river one Remington. For deer hunting either a 120 grain sierra pro hunter or 120 or 100 grain nostler BT. Both shoot really well with 4831sc I have tried others but it seems to be the best for me. When I am going to shoot that far I break out the 6.5/06 with a 26 inch doubles medium spotter barrel. Most factory guns have a hard time at those ranges and most shooters who dont shoot them have more!! Lol I live in KS so you can shoot to the horizon if you want too. Lol

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
I've wanted a 260 Rem. (a-square) for years. I really can't believe that this round never really "caught on", poor marketing effort by Remington I believe. Sadly things aren't looking much better for it now with the advent and huge popularity of the 6.5 creedmoor. Some years ago I had a Remington 700 Mountain rifle in 260 on layaway, it had a beautiful wood stock which they don't even make anymore. An opportunity to go to Alaska came up suddenly and I needed money so I cancelled the layaway. Sometimes I wish I had that rifle. I see they don't even chamber the mountain rifle in 260 anymore which I think is a real travesty.

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
I've wanted a 260 Rem. (a-square) for years. I really can't believe that this round never really "caught on", poor marketing effort by Remington I believe. Sadly things aren't looking much better for it now with the advent and huge popularity of the 6.5 creedmoor. Some years ago I had a Remington 700 Mountain rifle in 260 on layaway, it had a beautiful wood stock which they don't even make anymore. An opportunity to go to Alaska came up suddenly and I needed money so I cancelled the layaway. Sometimes I wish I had that rifle. I see they don't even chamber the mountain rifle in 260 anymore which I think is a real travesty.
this is a shame because the "creedmoor is the same round really. everyone seems to be going nuts over it and im like dude its a 260 rem with a different angle shoulder and a fancy name. my boys have been shooting 260 rem since they turned 12 (13 yeara ago) we usually shoot 140 corlock or 140 gameking.

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
The 260 Rem came out at the wrong time. I think the Creedmoor came out when ARs got popular. I may be wrong, but I think that might have something to do with it. The gun scribes say that the Creedmoor has a longer neck and holds the bullets better, for slightly better accuracy. The 260 came out when magnums were still popular. Wasn't it around the time when the Wincheser Short Mags and the Remintong Ultra-mag and RSAUM rounds were popular? Now we're in a craze of quiet and low recoil.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I have a couple of .260's so I see no need to go Creedmoor. If I had Creedmoors, I see no need to go .260. I think they can each have an advantage based on action and mag length.

I'll be honest, the hype that the creedmoor gets bothers me a little. It is good at what it does but it is not really better than a host of other cartridges. You hear people talk about it like it contains some sort of magic. It is a slow cartridge that shoots high bc bullets accurately. It's not the first to do that. It is one of the first to see widespread commercial success. That means more factory ammo and more factory rifles. It doesn't mean it is doing anything that rifle loonies haven't been doing for decades already. It took a niche product and popularized it.

The average hunter would be better off with a .270 just about every time. That's boring though. Variety is the spice of life.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts