The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a bullet recommendation. I will be shooting a 260 remington out of a 22 7/16 inch barrel with 1/8 twist. Looking for a quality bullet to shoot that could handle hitting a little twig or very small branch and will retain its effectiveness on Deer in Pennsylvania. Most likely won’t shoot past 200 yards and most shots about 100 or less.. I will be hand loading so any Primer, powder, and weight recommendation to go along with that would be helpful. Thanks in advance….

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Nosler 125 gr. Partition or 120 gr. Ballistic Tip. Both good bullets.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
I will be loadin my first batch for my Creedmoor and going with 120gr. Nosler Bal.Tip. I'm goin with H4350, and IMR4064.....later

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Years ago, I just could not get any Nosler to shoot out of my 260.

120 and 140 Sierras have worked well for me.

37 gr 4064, 120 gr Sierra, and a 9 1/2 primer works well in my Model 7

·
Registered
187 Posts
1 in 8 should be good for about as big a bullet as you can shoot in a 260. There are lots of variables so it's hard to say what may work best in your gun. I'd try a few different factory loads to see what your gun seems to like. That might cut down your load development time a bit and give you some once fired brass to work with.

·
Registered
5,790 Posts
It sure will, i was going to say the 100 nosler bt works good for me. But the 8 twist would give you better results with a heavier bullet but with the small case capacity of the 260 i wouldnt go larger than the 120. You could try the 100 if it will group that extra spin would be devasting.

·
Registered
20 Posts
X2 on the Sierra bullets, 120 gr. soft points have proved to be very effective on deer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts