The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
41 - 60 of 62 Posts
I think the whole thing is kinda funny if you sit back and look at it. Who the [censored] wants a 200HP mustang anyhow, a bone stock AMX that does wheelies? and a 7MM-08 that outshines a 257Wby Magnum.

First off, we all know that a Camaro is a far better option to a Mustang, AMX, well it looks like an overstuffed Gremlin, and a 7MM-08, after about 600 yards I think I can outrun that one on foot.

257Wby is super cool; expensive brass, does it really matter? 100 pieces will last a lifetime. If it's a gun you want you might as well get it, it's yours and who really cares what anyone else thinks. It sounds to me like there are a whole lot more talkers than do-ers when it comes to the 257Wby. The worst part of 25 calibers is bullet selection, compared to the 6mm and .308 bullets available there is no comparison and probably why you don't see any 25 calibers being used for long competition or hunting by the die hard long rangers.

We should all just go buy a 50 cal if we're worried about what has the best ballistic coefficient and most down range energy. I guess that is now in question with some of the other chambering's now. Of course we can compare it to a 22rimfire and a 1957 Chevy pick up.

Strutt, now you can sit back and enjoy the popcorn

If I did have a 7-08 I wouldn't be shooting a 162 g. bullet! 35 years+ with a 7 mag and nothing but 145 g. with spectacular results! If you are going to shoot a .25 the weatherby is the way to go!

Gunnermhr said:
Strut, now you can sit back and enjoy the popcorn
Uh huh.

Call a guy out on his rifle AND his car and it's BOUND to get entertaining.

Somebody wanna toss in some disrespect for somebody's dog and mother so we can REALLY get 'er rolling ??

So... if i got this right 257 weatherbys are the cats a**, Fords are fast, stock Amc's pull the front wheels, and somebodys mom was drunk the day she got off the train from prison, and kicked their best dog.

grovey said:
All i can say is your ballistic calculator and mine aren't seeing eye to eye or your thinking the 115 gr is leaving at 3700. 3400 is more realistic. I used the wee 7mm-08 as an EXTREME to prove how inefficient the 257 weatherby is. Use the .280 rem for comparison and it looks even worse... I'm not a quarter bore fan, but i'd take a 257 bob, or 25/06 for a deer gun before the .257 weatherby cartridge. Look around the hardcore long range shooters and see how many are using a .25 caliber. If you find some, their probably newbies.
Actually I did use 3400fps instead of the 3500fps you used in your original post. A 115gr Nosler BT at 3400fps vs. 162gr A-Max at 2650. At 550yds the 162gr bullet finally equals the energy level (1336ftlbs) of the "inefficient" 115gr bullet. Why use a 280?, Just compare the 115gr bullet with a 175gr from a 7mmMag or a 220gr from a 300RUM. We could also compare it to a 110gr bullet from a 30 carbine, theres lots of numbers that you can put into a ballistic program to make any cartridge look good or bad. To bad you cant give the OP any first hand real life experiance on the 257wby like he asked for, like some of us were able too.

Good luck, Tony

Using the bc from that bullet does change things a bit, but....Your completely missing the point thruout this thread,and i'm tired of pointing it out to you. Weatherby employee's need to eat too, so buy'em up.

I killed a buck with my 257 Magnum about 15 years ago using a handloaded 100 Gr. Nosler Partition. Hit him halfway up the chest and right behind the shoulder. Put his lights out INSTANTLY! He did'nt even quiver! Enough said!

RobOz said:
Ken S. said:
257Wby
Expensive hard to find brass
Able to push a 120gr bullet @3200fps
I don't know of a case that can be reformed to 257Wby
Holds +/-10gr more powder than the 25-06

25-06Rem
Affordable easier to find brass
Able to push a 120gr bullet @3000fps
Cases can be reformed from a plentiful supply of 30-06 cases
Holds +/-10gr less powder than the 257Wby

Both calibers are capable of taking equal game at comparable distances.

Best comparison I can give not owning either rifle.

I can say, if I were in the market for a 25cal rifle, I would take the 25-06Rem before the 257Wby purely based on brass availability alone.

*** Both powder measurements and velocities taken from the Hornady handbook of cartridge reloading 9th edition using Hogdon4831.
You can use 7mm Remington brass to form 257 Wby

the heads are 2 different sizes
257wby is .530
7mmRM is .532

to do it wouldnt you need to reface the 257wby bolt to .532?

I have a 257 Weatherby Mag. Mark V, 28 years, original barrel. It has a 26" barrel, Sightron 6x24 target scope. At this time it has "one thousand, three hundred, fifty rounds down the tube. The bulk of the rounds have been in the last 20 years, Whitetail Deer and Groundhogs.

In the beginning the velocity for the 120's was over 3300 fps., the 100's were 3500 fps., it's been several years since the last chrono for velocity, the 100's were 3450 fps. The 100 gr. is what I use out of mine; accurate.

The brass cost $$$, so do Women, brass hard to fine, look for a job lately? Barrels wear out, yes, if they are not safe queens... see above

b s

My most used deer rifle is a 257 wby. Fun round to reload for. Powerful, flat shooting, and low recoil. What's not to like. As mentioned earlier, brass costs more than most, but you don't purchase a Wby of any caliber if being economical is the goal.

grovey said:
My point was... imo it's shoots flat, but the shine wears off after that. The 7-08 being in a totally different class was my point. Depending on how you fudge the numbers the 7-08 @ (2700)162 gr hits harder at the long ranges (400 ish + )the 257 weatherby 115gr @(3400)is designed for. It does it with 25 grs less powder, less recoil, and 2" inches less bbl. It's the bc of that 7mm bullet that lets even the lil 7-08 hang on.
There's a lot to like about the 7mm-08. Bullets matter more than headstamps.

41 - 60 of 62 Posts
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.