The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any thoughts on the .250 Savage?? I am looking at a special run Ruger #1(1a SS) and it only comes in .250 Savage. I shoot the .257 Roberts and love it. I would guess the .250 would be close but somewhat inferior.
Any input on the .250 Savage(Good,Bad,and Ugly)is appreciated.
Dave

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I have a reletive that has one and he loves it, takes deer just fine but that is all he hunts with it. low recoil and pretty accurate for a factory rifle (700 classic)

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Personally I have no hands on experiance with a 250. With that said I would not hesitate to use one as my deer rifle. It sounds like a cool rifle/caliber combo.

Good luck, Tony

PS, post some pics if/when you get it

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
Have several, including that Number One....The .250 is only inferior to the Roberts with bullets over 100 grains which the .250 does not handle as well as the Bob....

The .250 is an inherently accurate cartridge-probably more so than the .257R, in my forty year experience with both....its 100 gr. bullet works fine on deer, IME, again....

·
Banned
16,019 Posts
My grandfather has a .250 Savage in Model 99 and it is a very accurate rifle for a lever action. Coupled with the very low recoil and it is a solid rifle for deer and works great for youth.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
The 250/3000 Savage is a GREAT classic vintage cartridge. More than enough power for ANY Deer!

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the feedback!! I think I will get that #1 after Christmas!!

Dave

1 - 9 of 9 Posts