The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
I dont have any real hands on experience with the 250 Savage, but I do with some of the other 25's. Obviously the 250 is slower than the Roberts, 25-06, and 257 Wby. Currently I have two 25's, a 257 Roberts Imp and a 257 Wby, both have killed their fair share of deer.

At this time I have been loading the 257 Rob. Imp. down for my 13 year old son. I am using a 100 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip at 2600 FPS. which is below 250 Savage velocity. He has only taken one deer with this combination and it worked fine.

Alot of people think the 25's are on the light side for deer, especially the 250 Savage. Pesonally I would not hesitate to use it and someday hope to own a rifle in 250 Savage.

Are you planning on buying a 250 Savage?

Good luck, Tony

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
I'm with Tony. a good cartridge for deer and varmints. the use of bullets heavier than 100 grains makes it slightly better than the 243 IMO.

·
Banned
10,004 Posts
Have at it and good luck. First off, I shoot a .257 Roberts and have killed a whole bunch of deer with it. Only one out of the last twenty five of them took two shots. The rest were one-shot kills. I have no doubt the .250 Savage would be a great deer gun. It will have so little recoil that even those who have ruined their shooting style with the big he-man magnums due to flinching should be able to shoot it accurately.

I gotta tell a story here. Way back in the early 1960s there was a gun shop between Saint Thomas and Fort Loudon called Walker's Trading Post. I stopped in one day and he had a Savage Model 99 in .250-3000 Savage (the original designation for the caliber). He wanted $125 for it, but as poor as I was at the time, he might as well have wanted a million bucks for it. I have kicked myself many a time since then for not working out some sort of lay away deal with him.
Here is a page from GunBroker.com for the .250-3000 Savages for sale. Happy shopping.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/SearchResults.aspx

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Links not working Mutt. but i'm guessin it's alot more than $125

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Mutt:

First of all, I have my ggf's Model 99, "250" as my dad always called. Just can't get it to shoot accurately at all. Beautiful gun, in decent shape for being made in 1921.

Also, didn't know you hunted with the .257 Roberts. Bought one at Cooper's Sporting Goods in Mansfield the Saturday before buck. It was a special run, Browning A-Bolt Micro Medallion, BUT it has standard length of pull. The owner handed it to me, and said "you oughta buy this." I looked at, held it and said "gimme it." Have not shot it yet, will put it together after buck season.

Rough buck season this year. Saw some small ones, that was it. My friend and his son shot buck in archery season though. Saw more buck than doe in archery, some nice ones too.

Nice to see your post.

Ted

·
Registered
176 Posts
hey TED your older 250-3000 was made to shoot 87gr slugs not the 100gr the new 250 have a different twist that will stabiliz the100 grs slugs The 250 is a great gun for a young person less recoil than a 243 I have kill probley 40 deer with mine never hat to chase one of them you do your job THE 250 WILL DO ITS JOB ON DEER BILL

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
Just so you guys know: A 250-3000 cartridge WILL chamber in a 243 Win chamber! My buddy destroyed his 50+ year old model 99 in 243 when he tried to fire a 250 out of it. He wasn't paying attention. Nobody was injured. I gave him a big ol' lecture about it/gun safety/kids & guns, etc. His 9yo boy was right beside him when he tried to touch that one off....he was actually supposed to shoot, but couldn't see with the bright sunshine so dad shot instead.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
goat48 said:
hey TED your older 250-3000 was made to shoot 87gr slugs not the 100gr the new 250 have a different twist that will stabiliz the100 grs slugs The 250 is a great gun for a young person less recoil than a 243 I have kill probley 40 deer with mine never hat to chase one of them you do your job THE 250 WILL DO ITS JOB ON DEER BILL
Thanks Bill.

I found that out last year, after not being able to get it to shoot. Some of the guys on here helped. It shot better, but still not great. I would love to hunt with it, but it is just not accurate enough for me.

·
Registered
5,790 Posts
I am a quarterbore fan and the 250 savage is a great rifle. We took the 1984 700 classics which are hard to find now and re-chambered to the 250 ackley improved. Fireforming the case to a 40 degree shoulder. With this being said more case to hold more powder yields more velocity = more knock down powder. We have taken a lot of whitetails with this caliber using the 87 grain bullet, 100 grainers will work also but mainly used the 87. PO Ackley even said this was the 250 savage imp was the most efficient imp case yet. Chronogrphing it at 3300 fps and the 100 just under. It works great out of a short action thinking where i think the 257 roberts was on a long action or it should of been. I also have the 25 x284 , 257 whby, and my own wildcat caliber the 25 Bobcat. I had to have the reamer and dies made but i took a 270 wsm case and necked it down to a 25 caliber. It actually gives me 257 whby. velocity using a short action and not buying whby. brass. I am able to get 3650 fps with a 100 grain bullet.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts