The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have owned several 24V's. First one was a 410/22. Never had the rifle shoot well. Number 2 was a 222/ 20 gauge. Never shot well. So like a fool I now have a 22 mag/ 20 gauge. All the others were open sites. Would a Red Dot or some other scope help with the rifle hitting at least close??
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
11,282 Posts
I have the 22mag/20 gage.

I tried different regular scopes and I did not like them.

I bought an old Aimpoint off a guy and put it on it. It is working out OK. I also bought a cheap reflex sight off a friend. He bought a half dozen off Amazon for about $20 each. It is a nice sight and I may try it on the Savage. I think it will be a better option than the Aimpoint.

·
Registered
9,850 Posts
What do you consider "shooting well"? I have had a 24V in .222/20 nearly all my life and have no issues with it. It wears a Leopold 3-9x33 compact scope and shoots as well as any other rifle I have.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Mine is also 22Mag/20 ga Mag. I have an old Weaver 1-4 power wide field scope on top. I have shot ghogs, turkey, squirrel and even a dove with it. One tip: try the Remington 33 grain cartridge in the up barrel. I tried many but they work best in 22 mag. .

·
Registered
11,282 Posts
What do you consider "shooting well"?

Yes, ammo could be an issue. The ammo varies and like most rimfires they are ammo sensitive.

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys.
I'll try some different ammo. I'm lucky to hit a pie plate at 50 yards. At 25 I'll hit the plate somewhere and this is off a bench with sand bags.

·
Registered
11,282 Posts
Thanks guys.
I'll try some different ammo. I'm lucky to hit a pie plate at 50 yards. At 25 I'll hit the plate somewhere and this is off a bench with sand bags.

That is not good! Mine is not a tack driver but with most ammo I get 2.5" or less groups at 100 yards. BTW I have mine sighted in for 50 yards.

Check the crown to make sure it is OK and that there is not an excess accumulation of residue from the shotgun barrel.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts