The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interesting in getting an accurate 243 without breaking my bank. Any recommendations? Thanks.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
cubcadet said:
Weatherby Vanguard.
+1 on the Weatherby.

The Vanguards seem to be some of the most accurate rifles going right now for any sane amount of money.

My older daughter's .308 is legit 1/4 MOA for 3 shots at 100 yards.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
just got the wife a savage and the son a ruger American. both shoot good,but i'd give the edge to the ruger for its trigger.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Ralph46 said:
Interesting in getting an accurate 243 without breaking my bank. Any recommendations? Thanks.
If you want to keep the cost down , Savage Axis II or Ruger American , or step it up a notch or three CZ produces some fine rifles , factory set trigger and very accurate.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys. I have a Tikka 308 and like it a lot. Shoots nice. Weatherby need to check prices. Surprised that Savages not mentioned more.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I have a Savage Axis Camo in 243. I spent $15 on a replacement trigger spring and I couldn't be happier with the trigger and the accuracy of the rifle. At $400 for the package you can't beat it IMHO.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I have a Tikka T3 lite stainless in 243. Spent 650 to get it and was very happy. Shoots around an inch with most anything I put through it, and well under that with handloads it likes. it is also the smoothest action I've ever used.

·
Registered
340 Posts
bought a tikka for my granddaughter and a ruger for my grandson. the ruger doesn't group as good as the tikka. ruger shoots good but the tikka will out shoot it all day!

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I'd try to handle all models mentioned and see which one feels best in your hands. Pretty sure you won't be disappointed with the accuracy of the Savage or Tikka. Can't speak to the Ruger or Weatherby. I've never met a .243 that wouldn't shoot well even with factory ammo.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
depends on what you call breaking the bank. I have a Remington 700 varmint rifle that will shoot less then 1/2 inch if I do my part. I paid for this rifle to do this. I also reload my ammo. most times you get what you pay for. just my opinion.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts