The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking at getting a new gun to hunt deer and possiable coyotes and have settled on tc venture but not sure on the 308 or 243

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
great white hunter said:
ShaneBower said:
is the 308 a lil to big for coyote even if i dont care about the pelts
Seems you may have already made your choice.Both will kill deer, and yotes.Just that a .308 will kill them a little more...
Last I checked there are no degrees of dead. Dead is dead.

·
Administrator
39,022 Posts
RayRay said:
great white hunter said:
ShaneBower said:
is the 308 a lil to big for coyote even if i dont care about the pelts
Seems you may have already made your choice.Both will kill deer, and yotes.Just that a .308 will kill them a little more...
Last I checked there are no degrees of dead. Dead is dead.
Last i checked there was no degree on how funny one could be!

·
Registered
6,401 Posts
Agree,dead is dead.Both are good.Not so much what you hit them with but where.If kids can kill deer with a 243,why shouldn't a seasoned hunter be able to?

The 243 is my favorite deer caliber.

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
The 243 is more of a coyote/deer gun...The 308 is more of a ...uh...I'm trying to think of something that the 308 is good for.....Aw, just get the 243!

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Big Ken said:
The 243 is more of a coyote/deer gun...The 308 is more of a ...uh...I'm trying to think of something that the 308 is good for.....Aw, just get the 243!
I vote for the 270-08. ( just to be miserable!
)

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
.24's are good varmint guns. .30's are good everything guns.

Get the .308 and never look back. You can always load the .308 down to .243 power levels. You can never load a .243 up to .308 power levels.

·
Registered
585 Posts
243. Its the equivalent to shooting a 22. No kick and dead accurate. Put the bullet where it needs to be and they both will drop a deer in its tracks. I love my 243 tho.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
.308, mine has served me well.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts