The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was given some frontier cartridges today. they look in real good shape. looked around the internet a little bit and they seem to be pretty old. would these be safe to shoot? would there be a lot of difference performance wise compared to the newer ammo?

·
Registered
7,582 Posts
...although a different caliber. ..I've had FACTORY 22-250 Frontier cases split just below the neck.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Probably O K to shoot but I wouldn't use them to hunt! I was talked into a box of them years ago the sat. before season. Shot 10 sighting in new scope. Shot the other 10 at 4 different buck the first day. Didn't get a one of them! Had hair blown all over but very little blood! Went to different sports store that eve. to buy more shells.Long story short(after they were done laughing) was told the frontiers were over loaded and in a lighter gun blow up as soon as they hit !! At the time they didn't know I was using a 243. That Is the "last frontier" for me !!!!

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
I bought 2 boxes of frontier 154 g. when I got my 7 mag. almost 40 years ago and still reloading these cases! I have lost afew over the years when shooting at deer but only had to throw away 1 case due to failure(partial head seperation).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts