The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

243 for fall turkey

8K views 39 replies 28 participants last post by  buckmasters243 
#1 ·
Is this way over kill?

#29 ·
Double Lung 20 said:
dce said:
I never shot a turkey with a .243.In fact,this past year was my first year having any experience with one on deer.I loaded 95 ballistic tips way down for my son and between the two of us,killed 4 deer with that load.That was a very mild load with a rapidly expanding bullet and I can tell you for a fact,it would demolish a turkey.
Did you get exit holes? What velocity were you pushing?
We got exit holes with two neck shots but the other two never exited.I never chronied the load but it was only 32gr of IMR 3031.It was mild enough that you couldn't hardly feel the recoil in a youth model 7.

#31 ·
I always thought the idea of turkey hunting was to call them in close. Shooting a deer rifle is over kill unless you don't eat that great tasting meat. Use a 12 gauge and call them in close and you will have a better time hunting them because you know that you outsmarted the bird.

#32 ·
Woodland Warrior said:
I always thought the idea of turkey hunting was to call them in close. Shooting a deer rifle is over kill unless you don't eat that great tasting meat. Use a 12 gauge and call them in close and you will have a better time hunting them because you know that you outsmarted the bird.
Take your drum somewhere else and beat it. This thread is not a debate whether or not rifles should be used.

#37 ·
I have a early 70's vintage Ithaca (Tikka) LSA 55 Turkey gun in 12 ga/222Rem. I shoot a Sierra semi-point 55 grain handload in the 222 downloaded to approx. 22 Hornet ballistics. It works great for fall turkeys. No reason you could not do the same with a reduced load in the 243 Win. IMO it would work fine.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.