The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

243 for fall turkey

8K views 39 replies 28 participants last post by  buckmasters243 
#1 ·
Is this way over kill?

#8 ·
I have a friend that used a 243 for fall turkeys and he showed me some of the ones he got, mostly gobblers, he always shot for the wing butt just a hole bout the size of a quarter, hardly any breast damage at all. I believe he used 80 grain for them, but he never used FMJ, says they don't expand enough and had some get away from him.

#12 ·
Yeah, kind of like using rifles for deer. Not very sporting or challenging. Give me a break!

As for the original question, if you use the proper bullet, i.e. one not designed for violent expansion, you can get away with using the .243 and not causing too much damage.

#19 ·
I have shot at least 10 fall turkeys with a .243. Those who have told you to use the right bullet and load are giving you good advice. In the past I have shot 70 grain hornady SP's downloaded to around 2800 fps. Shoot for the butt of the wing. No problems.
I have since switched to a .222 with 50 grain hornady sp's at the same velocity, but there's nothing wrong with that .243.

#24 ·
I never shot a turkey with a .243.In fact,this past year was my first year having any experience with one on deer.I loaded 95 ballistic tips way down for my son and between the two of us,killed 4 deer with that load.That was a very mild load with a rapidly expanding bullet and I can tell you for a fact,it would demolish a turkey.

#26 ·
dce said:
I never shot a turkey with a .243.In fact,this past year was my first year having any experience with one on deer.I loaded 95 ballistic tips way down for my son and between the two of us,killed 4 deer with that load.That was a very mild load with a rapidly expanding bullet and I can tell you for a fact,it would demolish a turkey.
Did you get exit holes? What velocity were you pushing?

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.