The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,447 Posts
I have a friend that used a 243 for fall turkeys and he showed me some of the ones he got, mostly gobblers, he always shot for the wing butt just a hole bout the size of a quarter, hardly any breast damage at all. I believe he used 80 grain for them, but he never used FMJ, says they don't expand enough and had some get away from him.

·
Registered
5,168 Posts
Yeah, kind of like using rifles for deer. Not very sporting or challenging. Give me a break!

As for the original question, if you use the proper bullet, i.e. one not designed for violent expansion, you can get away with using the .243 and not causing too much damage.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
frank1969 said:
rifels in the fall to target gobblers that's sporting and fun give me a break
Please , in all your infinite wisdom tell me why it is less sporting to call a fall gobbler into range and place a well aimed shot with a rifle , yet in your opinion it is sporting to do the same and use a shotgun .

·
Registered
13,401 Posts
I have shot at least 10 fall turkeys with a .243. Those who have told you to use the right bullet and load are giving you good advice. In the past I have shot 70 grain hornady SP's downloaded to around 2800 fps. Shoot for the butt of the wing. No problems.
I have since switched to a .222 with 50 grain hornady sp's at the same velocity, but there's nothing wrong with that .243.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.