·
Registered
1,364 Posts
yes 243 is overkill ,wont have much left especially with factory loads
get a 222 or 223 use FMJ bullets and slow then down if you handload

·
Super Moderator
13,849 Posts
22 hornet or a similar load in a 222 would be a better choice for turkey.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
bowmike said:
Is this way over kill?
with the proper bullet and a reduced load the 243 win. makes a fine turkey gun and you will find very little meat damage , much less than any of the 22cal. centerfire factory loads.

·
Premium Member
24,201 Posts
I have a friend that used a 243 for fall turkeys and he showed me some of the ones he got, mostly gobblers, he always shot for the wing butt just a hole bout the size of a quarter, hardly any breast damage at all. I believe he used 80 grain for them, but he never used FMJ, says they don't expand enough and had some get away from him.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
I agree , i never use the FMJ bullet for any game , normally no expansion just a small hole in and out with no tissue damage. am not sure but i dont believe the FMJ is legal to hunt with in pa.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
the book says " single projectile ammunition" for fall turkey

darkhollowarcher said:
I agree , i never use the FMJ bullet for any game , normally no expansion just a small hole in and out with no tissue damage. am not sure but i dont believe the FMJ is legal to hunt with in pa.

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
Yeah, kind of like using rifles for deer. Not very sporting or challenging. Give me a break!

As for the original question, if you use the proper bullet, i.e. one not designed for violent expansion, you can get away with using the .243 and not causing too much damage.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I've killed many with a .22 hornet just aiming at the wing butt. with a rifle it's mostly to do with shot placement to do little meat damage

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
frank1969 said:
rifels in the fall to target gobblers that's sporting and fun give me a break
Please , in all your infinite wisdom tell me why it is less sporting to call a fall gobbler into range and place a well aimed shot with a rifle , yet in your opinion it is sporting to do the same and use a shotgun .

·
Registered
722 Posts
if i had to choose one of my guns, i'd probably take the .204 ruger and aim at the base of the neck. the bullet will blow up and shouldnt cause any meat damage. If i miss the small target, oh well.

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks guys. I have a 17hmr but am thinking about getting a 243 for deer, and maybe yotes. Just wondering if it would work for all three.

·
Registered
11,321 Posts
I have shot at least 10 fall turkeys with a .243. Those who have told you to use the right bullet and load are giving you good advice. In the past I have shot 70 grain hornady SP's downloaded to around 2800 fps. Shoot for the butt of the wing. No problems.
I have since switched to a .222 with 50 grain hornady sp's at the same velocity, but there's nothing wrong with that .243.

·
Super Moderator
13,849 Posts
bowmike said:
Thanks guys. I have a 17hmr but am thinking about getting a 243 for deer, and maybe yotes. Just wondering if it would work for all three.
Do you hand load?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts