The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am looking at possibly getting into a smaller caliber than my normal 30-06 and .308's.

Is a .243 enough punch for deer. I know I will get a lot of, "anything is good if the shot is placed right".

I do know that, just looking for anyone with any experience with the caliber.

Thanks guys.

Happy Holidays to all.

·
Registered
12,254 Posts
.243 is more than enough punch for a deer. I started out with a .243 as a kid. I went away from it needing to shooting something bigger. I came back to it after I reallized the big guns didn't kill them any deader than the .243.

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
My son doubled lunged a doe with his 243 at about 30-40 yds. Doe went about 10yds and dropped. 243 is a good deer caliber

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
my son (10) used his for his first kill..1 shot went 60 yrds...my brother loads shells for his kids and girlfriends 243 they drop in their tracks

·
Super Moderator
12,888 Posts
I think a 243 is about perfect for a PA deer rifle. My longest shot 225 yds. Deer went 65 yds.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
243 is a great, flat shooting round for deer.
Why are you looking to go smaller though?? Trying to add to the challenge? Want a lighter gun?? If thats what you're after, I have a buddy who makes it a point to shoot a doe every year with a 22-250 rem. I've seen deer he's shot at 200 yards with it and the wound channel is indistinguishable from that of a larger caliber deer rifle. Just gotta use the right bullet.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
I always wonder why everyone is so tentative about using a .243 for deer when there are deer getting killed by broadheads every day.

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
I used my 30-06 in WV this year, it rained every day that we were there. Came home to hunt Pa and it rained the first day, my scope cried uncle and fogged permanently. So I had to use a different gun to finish the season had a .243 at home that I had here for my nephew, he wan't going out so I took it out and shot a doe with it. Didn't kick at all, easy and fun to shoot. Remington 700 bolt in .243 hit right were I aimed it deer stumbled maybe 15 yards (I shot it jogging through the woods) due to inertia and fell over dead. One shot from .243, this isn't my gun but I will own one in the future fun little guns to shoot. I still like my 30-06 but the .243 gets a

·
Registered
681 Posts
I have always felt the .243 was very under rated as a deer gun. I have shot many whitetail, mule deer and coues deer with the .243 using 100gr CoreLokts. Three times I have loaned my .243 out to women hunting elk and each made one shot kills through the lungs. A final example was in Nevada where I watched a rancher make a 200 yard plus shot on a 6x6 bull elk with one shot. This bull ran about 50 yards before falling down.

·
Registered
18,775 Posts
RichinPa said:
Is a .243 enough punch for deer.
Yep. Just use big game bullets and not the varmint variety. A great round that I killed a buck with a few years ago. Dropped on the spot.

·
Registered
4,333 Posts
All I have used the past 20 + years until my youngest decided he was going to take it over. LOL. Dropped a lot of deer and out of the 5 he has gotten so far 4 have been with it.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
I believe it's plenty of caliber for deer also but I don't know that I wouldn't trade it for any other caliber.

When I bought my Encore pistol I was going to buy it in 243 but the owner of one of the shops I was looking at opened my eyes to the 7mm-08 and changed my mind.

·
Registered
168 Posts
.243 is a super caliber for killing deer and other game and is cheap enough to practice on groundhogs during the summer....i reload 95 grain ballistic tips and they do the job with ease....the deer might make it 25 yards if they are real lucky that bullet is a destroyer....highly recommend the .243

·
Registered
483 Posts
I started with a 243 at 12...Shot one doe with it and she never took a step...Then I decided i needed something bigger and went to a 30-06 at 14. I shot 4 deer with that and everyone of them ran at least 50 yards. Good lung/heart shots too. I finally went back to a 260 at age 18 and havent looked back the last 14 years. Every deer I have shot has dropped has little kick and does the job. The only downfall is the ammunition isnt found at Wally World or Kmart. The 243 will do you just fine.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts