The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is the best weight 243bullette for deer i do hand load ?2 can i use a regular 243die on a 243 comet it's a wildcat but still a 243 would it make a difference any info would help greatly thanks

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
matthewbow said:
what is the best weight 243bullette for deer i do hand load ?2 can i use a regular 243die on a 243 comet it's a wildcat but still a 243 would it make a difference any info would help greatly thanks
You should have been able to answer that question before you bought the rifle in that caliber.

Unless the dimensions are similiar in the shoulder, then no you likely can't use 243 dies. I've never heard of the comet and don't know what the parent is. If its like a 30-06 case necked down using a 243 winchester die then you probably can.

I prefer the sierra 85 grain bthp.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I'm with moose on the partition. I stay away from the ballistic tips. I'm leary of them at 243 speeds on a deer. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
HighCountry66 said:
matthewbow said:
You should have been able to answer that question before you bought the rifle in that caliber.

Unless the dimensions are similiar in the shoulder, then no you likely can't use 243 dies. I've never heard of the comet and don't know what the parent is. If its like a 30-06 case necked down using a 243 winchester die then you probably can.

I prefer the sierra 85 grain bthp.
i did not buy the gun it was given to me when my wifes grandfather passed away it is a 243 case with the shoulder blowen out farther so it holds more powder

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
you sure it is called a 243 comet?? a quick google search and search of reloading data bases with tons of wildcats turned up nothing??

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
I can't help you with the die situation because I've never heard of that caliber, but I prefer the 85 grain Barnes bullets in my 243.

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
matthewbow said:
...it is a 243 case with the shoulder blowen out farther so it holds more powder
Sounds like a 243AI (Ackley Improved), dies are common. What does the barrel stamp say?
Accubond 90 for me. Accurate as a ballistic tip and stays together.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I found some info in ackleys handbook for shooters and reloaders on a 224 critser comet. Nothing on a 6mm version tho.

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
Then you'll need a gunsmith to help you. And you might need custom dies made which is gonna cost a few bucks.

The only thing that really doesn't make sense however is how did your grandfather get shells for it?

Even if its an Ackley Improved, there is no guarantee you can just buy an Ackley Improved die set. Apparently someone took the time to differentiate between it and the Ackley by calling it the comet. I would try real hard to track down the dies that went with the rifle whether it be your grandfather or someone who owned it before him.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
you can shoot factory 243 ammo threw the gun when you eject the factory case the neck is shorter and the body longer it say's 243comet on the barrele i'll post pic's of the stamp and factory 243case and the case i shoot out of it

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
matthewbow said:
you can shoot factory 243 ammo threw the gun when you eject the factory case the neck is shorter and the body longer it say's 243comet on the barrele i'll post pic's of the stamp and factory 243case and the case i shoot out of it

.243 AI.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
[/quote] Sounds like a 243AI (Ackley Improved), dies are common. What does the barrel stamp say?
Accubond 90 for me. Accurate as a ballistic tip and stays together. [/quote]

exatly what I was thinking. you can fireform cases using regular 243 brass. just load a LIGHT powder charge and go to the range. bullets? I have found a new love in the 105 grain hornady Amax. gotta watch your barrel twist though. they don't like to stabilize in 1-10" and slower barrels.

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
uncysid said:
just load a LIGHT powder charge and go to the range.
No, you use as P.O. stated "a stiff charge" , one in the upper window for the parent cartridge. Using a light charge is one of the most common mistakes made when fire forming improved brass especially where rimless bottleneck cartridges are concerned. A light charge tends to create brass with short head clearance.

Getting back to the topic a hand it could also be one of the other lesser known improved 243s, a 28 or 30 degree version with the moniker "243 Comet" hung on it.

Bill

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thanks guy's for all the info but i still need to know if a regular 243 die work for resizeing and seating the bullette

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
matthewbow said:
thanks guy's for all the info but i still need to know if a regular 243 die work for resizeing and seating the bullette
No, because it's not the same dimensions as a standard 243 Winchester. You may be able to get away with neck sizing only and then seating the bullet, but not full length resizing/

1 - 20 of 32 Posts