The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother and I are just getting started in predator hunting. He is planning on getting a .223, but for the time being, the only rifle we have that would work for coyote is my .243. We are planning on one of us with a shotgun for close and the other with the .243 for distance until he gets the .223. My main concern right now is fur damage. I may be wasting my time even thinking about it with the .243, I don't know. Anyways, my question is what ammo would be best to reduce fur damage? Or if it is pointless and we should just use the same ammo I use for deer because anything out of the .243 is going to cause a lot of damage? I was looking on The Sportsman's Guide website and this is what they have:
Winchester 55 grain BST
Federal 55 grain NBT
Hornady 58 grain V-MAX

Any thoughts? I've tried searching the site for info on .243's, but can't seem to find too much.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
I am in the same boat. Lighter bullet would have a higher velocity and expand quicker. That would do more damage I would think.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I really have no idea what to go with. I use Winchester 100 grain PP for deer, and they can wreck the inside of a deer. I don't know if they would make it through a coyote without breaking up. Shot for shoulder or behind shoulder? It is all pretty new to me. This year is the first I've done much looking into ammo. Really only hunted deer before and used thos Win 100gr since I started. Got to looking at some different ammo for bear this year and now for predators, but it is a little confusing. I'd like to see hides from different calibers and ammo to make my own decision, but not too many people take pictures of the entrance/exit after the animal is skinned/fleshed. When the fur isn't prime I could care less, but when we are hunting in prime fur season I will be keeping pelts to sell or selling on the taxidermy market. Neither of those markets want something with a softball sized hole in it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts