The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Barnes TTSX 80 grain lead free, I have used 90 grain Speers with good results, wanting to try these so Midway already shipped them.

Reactions: limbhnger10

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Why not post a link instead of a blurry screenshot?

My 10 year old doesn't need 400 rounds to fill his tags but that is a good price.

Reactions: bohunr

·
Registered
22,482 Posts
100s will work fine for deer or anything else.
In my opinion, there are better performing and shooting rounds for a .243 for deer than 100 gr SP...
For my .243 deer rounds I shoot 77, 85, 88 grain HP solid coppers.
For coyotes I shoot 75 HP and 55 and 77gr HP solids
Woodchucks 58, 64, 70 and 90 gr...
I'd love to be able to experiment with all those.

·
Registered
8,726 Posts
Barnes TTSX 80 grain lead free, I have used 90 grain Speers with good results, wanting to try these so Midway already shipped them.
The 85 gr tsx shoot excellent out of my Savage 11VT

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Learn to handload. Save your brass, start gathering gear, it's not that hard, the ammunition is better, and you can work up custom loads once you have the basics down.

·
Registered
12,461 Posts
I'd love to be able to experiment with all those.
The 85 gr tsx shoot excellent out of my Savage 11VT
Outfit on GunBroker still has 8 boxes available... they had 10 last night:

·
Registered
8,726 Posts
Learn to handload. Save your brass, start gathering gear, it's not that hard, the ammunition is better, and you can work up custom loads once you have the basics down.
This is great advice....the .243 winchester is a great overlooked round. About 10 years ago I started compiling info in a notebook even before I started reloaded. I searched the internet for reloading/load info on make and twist....bought powder and components and started with factory rounds first that shot the best....then fine tuned from them. From a 64 gr Berger BR shooting 5/8" out of my LAR8 .243 ...to 1/2" groups shooting an 88 gr solid copper Cutting Edge MTH out of one of my bolts.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
It wouldn't be my choice for longer range or larger game, but the little Savage Axis I cut down for my boys will see lots of action the next few years, and they will know how to handload when I am done.

Reactions: loridr

·
Registered
22,482 Posts

·
Registered
22,482 Posts
Are components readily available now?

·
Registered
930 Posts
Hardware store here in millheim has 243 ammo for $35 a box I do believe there winchester brand in white box. Want long ago use to pick them up less than $20 a box. As it was mentioned, save your brass, buy componets when available. I do not reload for my 9mm. I am debating after the other day I was in there looking at there archery supplies. A customer asked the clerk you have any 9mm ammo. 3 different brands and the cheapest was high price for FMJ. close to $40. Month ago they were $21.00. Customer didn't buy any he just went off how this world has changed big time.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
It was the same under Obama, things got scarce.

·
Registered
22,482 Posts
I dont know how you guys find this stuff. I just checked Midway and they have 62 different .243 Win ammo.....ALL out of stock or unavailable.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Let me start an argument. lol

More deer killed with a 30 cal than anything.
I have found deer shot with .243 in the pocket. One half a mile away stuck in the neighbors fence dead.
The second I drove it to a buddy all gangrened up a week after it was hit. I know the farmer that shot both of them. He told us he hit two different bucks that week and could not find either. I am not saying both were perfect shots but I am fairly certain had it been an 06 or 300 those deer would have been laying on the bank.

On the other hand I have seen many many laid down with a .243. It will do a fine job. I prefer a bigger bullet. All my kids, when growing up, used my 30 cals. I never heard any of them complain about recoil when they shot a critter.

·
Registered
8,726 Posts
Good story…
I’ll put any of my .243s up against any 30-06 for any PA whitetail …recoil has nothing to do with it. A .243 is a superb round .

to the OP… have you found any ammo?

21 - 40 of 50 Posts