The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have always used Federal Premium .243 Nosler partitions but cant seem to find them anywhere, everybody is out of stock. anybody know why this is? Any other reccomendations for a tough bullet for this caliber

·
Registered
182 Posts
Try looking on gunbot.net or ammoseek.com. They list alot of different ammo. Maybe you'll find what your looking for.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Winchester 100 grain power points have racked up A LOT of deer for me and everyone in our group that runs the .243.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Welcome to our new reality until everyone stops panicking over 223 and 9mm. Want a really hard one to find try looking up 35rem.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Or 7mm-08, .300 Savage is near impossible to find and priced to the point of lunacy now too.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Federal Fusion 95 gr. My 788 really likes them. I just haven't tried them on deer yet.

·
Premium Member
24,086 Posts
sako master said:
Hornady American whitetail. Nothing wrong with 100gr spire points
I'll be using the Hornadys this year since I can't find Remington Core-lokts

·
Banned
1,455 Posts
Geez, I can't find anything other than 100 grain core locks.
Have you looked at walmart, gander mt, cabelas?? My gun loves them.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
have you ever had problems with the core lokts? used to shoot a 30-06 with 150 grain core lokt and had a few bullet seperations. not sure I trust them.

·
Registered
58 Posts
mightyjoeyoung said:
Or 7mm-08, .300 Savage is near impossible to find and priced to the point of lunacy now too.
I've always run 180 gr. Remington Corelokt round nose through my Model 99. Last year I couldn't find any ammo in that loading, so ended up switching out to Federal stuff-to the tune of $40.00 a box! That's just crazy. Bit the bullet, contacted a friend who reloads, and we cooked up a good load that the gun shoots very accurately. It's a shame that I had to invest a few hundred dollars in reloading gear to get to this point, but 40.00 a box for what amounts to a glorified .308 load? Just nuts!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Wildman said:
have you ever had problems with the core lokts? used to shoot a 30-06 with 150 grain core lokt and had a few bullet seperations. not sure I trust them.
Never had any issues-used them mostly in a 300 Savage.

·
Registered
58 Posts
As for .243 loads, I just started working up a little Savage Axis in .243 and so far it seems to like the Federal Fusion 95 grain stuff. Consistent inch groups at 100 yards off the sand bags.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I may try a 243 for deer this year, have never shot a deer with anything less than 270 cal. I have some factory Federal Power Shocks and put together some loads with 100 Hornady BTSP's and 100 Speer Grand Slam's. Not sure which to use yet, accuracy is better with the handloads but the factory rounds are more than accurate enough.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts