The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some .243 ammo that has minimal expansion, max penetration. I want something that can pass through an animal without leaving a large exit hole. Any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
7,774 Posts
Predator hunting?

I would think something on the order of a Hornady GMX or a Barnes of some sort would be a good choice. Or a Nosler Accubond or eTip.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
tdd said:
Predator hunting?

I would think something on the order of a Hornady GMX or a Barnes of some sort would be a good choice. Or a Nosler Accubond or eTip.
Yes, for predator hunting. Some of those you listed advertise rapid expansion!

What do I look for when determining the expansion and penetration of a bullet? Do the heavy slower bullets expand slower with everything else being equal? I would think those real light varmit loads in the 55 gr range at high speeds would expand real quick.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
What about any of the copper solids?

With any lead bullet, you are going to get some amount of expansion.

Got any smaller caliber guns? .250, .17rfb, .223?

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
For one that won't exit, maybe a 55gr NBT. High velocity, rapid expansion, and should be accurate. Federal loads them, muzzle velocity 3850fps!

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
gooseguy said:
For one that won't exit, maybe a 55gr NBT. High velocity, rapid expansion, and should be accurate. Federal loads them, muzzle velocity 3850fps!
Yea, I saw those. I just can't imagine a bullet shot out of a .243 with such high velocity won't exit. I might just have to give them a try.

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
If you shoot a fox with those 55gr, or any lightweight varmint bullet, you'll be picking up pieces. Your best best is a fmj, but that's not ideal either. If you're mainly going to be shooting fox, I'd suggest a smaller caliber. Center fire 17's, 22 mag, 22 hornet, etc. If you're dead set on the .243, heavy for caliber, or bonded/ monolithic bullets won't expand much on something as small as a fox, but you still in the risk of gaping wounds, just due to the amount of energy being deposited.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I want to shoot a FMJ, but I can't find them anywhere to reload. I could always get the velocity down a bit so there isn't as much energy. I would assume there is the right combination of bullet type and velocity for a .243 to be fur friendly.

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
I don't think there is such a thing, where foxes and a .243 are concerned. For coyotes, possibly, fox, no. My brother loaded down his .223 and shot 70gr non-expanding bullets out of it. He still had gaping holes in foxes. You're not going to find a load for a 243 that will save fur on foxes. You might get a lucky shot or two, but day in and day out, you'll destroy way more than you don't.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts