The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I'm planning on taking my .243 out on the opener and was wondering what brand and grain of bullet ya'll would recommend to do the most damage on a deer. Since its not really one of the "bigger" rounds, I just want to pick the most lethal one I can find. Obviously I know shot placement is foremost, but I'm just looking for some suggestions. Thanks

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have been using Hornady, American Whitetail for the last 3 or 4 years, and shot 2 deer with them. They performed perfectly. I even recovered one of the bullets, it held together and mushroomed perfectly. I would highly recommend them.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I bought the Remington 100 grn coreloct for my grandson's .243. I have confidence it will get the job done.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
I?ve harvested many deer using 100 grain Sierra spritzer boatails, most dropped in their tracks. IMO .243 with a 100 gr bullet one of the best deer rounds out there. I think Hornady makes some quality .243 ammo in that weight

·
Premium Member
24,151 Posts
I used a 243 for 10 years and killed a lot of deer with it using the 100 gr Remington corelokts they didn?t go far either

Reactions: AgesofDays

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Hornady's new Superformance ammo is supposed to be pretty good. Of course I trust pretty much anything Hornady makes. Remington Corelokts have certainly killed plenty of deer, but if you're looking for something high performance I would go with Hornady or Nosler ammo.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Hornady's new Superformance ammo is supposed to be pretty good. Of course I trust pretty much anything Hornady makes. Remington Corelokts have certainly killed plenty of deer, but if you're looking for something high performance I would go with Hornady or Nosler ammo.
Just my opinion but I would be cautious using anything of lighter construction(hornady sst nosler ballistic tip etc etc) traditional 100 grain soft points are ok, but I have personally seen the sst's blowup and give bad penetration at close range the superformance is just going to make it worse. That being said those bullets also can give spectacular kills, its all the range and where you hit them(don't want to hit heavy bone) 100 grain partition to me is the best 243 load out there but corelokts are pretty good.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I use federal premium 100 grain nosler partitions. Never had a deer take that round and live.
I have a buddy with a large tract of land where he has quite a few kids hunting almost always using 243's(one uses a 6mm but its basically the same thing) They have tried a lot of different ammo in search of the perfect 243 round over the years. SST's and similar can be spectacular but can fail on shoulder shots, corelokts and interlocks were pretty good but not as fast killing as the sst's, their search stopped with the exact load you listed 100 grain nosler partition wide fast wounding but won't fail to penetrate!

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
I reload and use the 85gr Sierra HPBT.An older guy in his 80's uses the 100grs.Both kill.I have busted shoulders but do target the lungs.As with any caliber,as long as you hit them in the heart or lungs they just ain't gonna live!
This girl was looking right at me at 80yds.Hit her square in the chest.She sure coughed up allot of blood from her lungs in the 30yds she lived.Made a nice 3 foot wide path to follow.
Pictures 487 by t410er, on Flickr

·
Super Moderator
3,952 Posts
I use Federal 100 grain soft points and every deer has dropped in his tracks.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Back when I used the .243 I shot the Hornady 100gr Interlock in the old light magnums. Killed every deer I hit with them though I don't remember the wound cavity as I was 15 when I switched to the 30-06.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts