The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im thinking of taking my new .243 out for deer this year. just wondering whats people's opinion on best bullet to use.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
100 gr psp will definately do the trick. I usually take my .243 out as a back up should something happen to my 06'.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
Every Time this subject comes up, does NOT matter if it is the 243, 30-06, 30-30 7mm ECT...

I always Answer.....

What you shoot the BEST thru your Rifle after Testing Different Loads!

As for my personal use in my 243 for Deer, I use either the Federal 70 grain Ballistic Tips or the Hornady 95 grain SST....They both knock the Snot out of Deer and either drop them in their tracks or they only go 25-50 yards! (And they leave blood trails a Blind Man could follow)

The BEST thing for you to do is Get yourself a few different Brands of ammo and work them at the Range and sellect the BEST 2 that shoot the Best and also Read up on Each you choose on how they have performed on Deer!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i know i need to find the right bullet for my gun...im just wondering what other people use out. wanting to see what grain and type of bullet folks prefer

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
I use the cheapo Power-Shoks in my .243 Tikka. I swear they drop a Deer faster than when I was shooting an `06!! Easily does the one inch group...

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
I loaded some Nosler 90 gr ballistic tips in my 6mm, will be carrying it some this year.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I have used 95 gr ballistic tips in all of mine since 96. I have my girls using the same rounds for their guns also.

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
I use 100 grain RN Hornady, with my reloads. Most all my shooting is close range woods deer. Never had a deer go more than 50 yards after being shot. But like Woody said, no matter if you reload or buy factory rounds you need to try different rounds to find what your gun likes. Just make sure whatever you end up using, the bullet is designed for deer size game.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
My advice? Take it back to the gun shop & trade it in for a .270 or .30-06.

·
Registered
19,611 Posts
100 gr Nosler partitions,dead as dead can be.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Back when my son used my 243 for deer I started buying him the Winchester Ballistic Silver Tips. They did a good job on the deer. Trouble is then he wanted them all the time and cost me more money. Any bullet that shoots good at the range will do good on deer. Just put the cross hairs in the right spot and the gun will do the rest. I plan on going back to that caliber when I get older.

·
Registered
38 Posts
i love my 243. this was my first rifle that my father had bought me. when i first started, i used the cheap 100 grain ammo. as i got older i switched to using my 308 and 270, but there is nothing like the 243. last year i took the 243 back out for the first time in a few years, loaded with Wichester Silver Tips. They seem to really hold the tightest groups for me. 160 yard shot, deer dropped right in its tracks, and it really took me back to my younger days. Every different ammo i use shoots a bit different, but i get the best gouping out of the Silver Tips

1 - 20 of 30 Posts