The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Administrator
14,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Beaver County Times reported Monday afternoon a 24-inch natural gas gathering pipeline owned by Energy Transfer Partners put into service on September 3 exploded early Monday morning destroying a house, barn and several vehicles in Center Township, Beaver County.

Public Utility Commission pipeline safety staff is on site and investigating the cause of the explosion.

The pipeline company set up a hotline for people who have questions or have had property damage related to the explosion. They are to call 1-800-445-5846.

A landslide caused a newly constructed TransCanada natural gas pipeline to explode in West Virginia in July.

Click Here to read the entire article.

Gas line explodes in Center Twp., destroys house, barn, cars - News - The Times - Beaver, PA

Rep. Christopher Quinn (R-Delaware) issued a statement in reaction to the explosion calling for an immediate halt to all pipeline construction activities on Energy Transfer Partners' Mariner East Pipelines.

“Today’s pipeline explosion in Beaver County was a graphic illustration of my worst fears – and the fears of many local residents – related to the construction of the [Energy Transfer Partners’] Mariner East pipeline.

“While I am relieved to know that no injuries occurred, I also realize that this area of Beaver County is far less dense than the pipeline corridor in Delaware County. A similar incident in my district could be even more destructive and have a greater human toll.

“Therefore, I am calling for an immediate halt to all pipeline construction activities. This pipeline should not be built until the real and legitimate safety and environmental concerns raised by myself and local residents have been fully addressed.

“It is the responsibility of Sunoco Logistics and Energy Transfer Partners to prove that the tragedy that happened today in Beaver County – including the evacuation of residents and closure of a school – could never happen in our community. If they are unable to do so, then this pipeline should not be built. Public safety must be the top priority.”

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
don't worry ,
the EPA is there to help you out …
they are rolling back regulations on inspection and leak detection
maybe they'll announce it in center township ad give away free raw hot dogs

·
Administrator
28,165 Posts
Nothing in the article about what actually caused the explosion, just that there was some "earth movement" at the site, but I think that would be expected when a pipe three feet underground explodes. I'd be interested in knowing what actually caused the gas to ignite.

·
Registered
16,981 Posts
profit comes first. if they get sued they will be allowed to set aside a predetermined amount to be distributed to all injured parties. that actually limits claims to a certain amount.

ever notice all those medical lawsuit commercials on TV ? the Government allows the manufacturers of these faulty medical devices to put aside a predetermined amount of money. Once all the paperwork is submitted then a "claims" center has a "special master" who determines how much money everyone gets based on the seriousness of your claim.

of course the attorneys get their cut, then the claims center gets their "Fees" and then the injured party gets theirs. its all a SCAM designed to protect the corporate thugs.

they need to shut down this pipeline FAST.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
The pipeline that exploded is about 2 miles from my home. The section that failed is installed through a deep gorge with very steep sides. I've heard the hillside gave way due to the recent rains causing the failure.

·
Administrator
14,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Public Utility Commission Chairman Gladys M. Brown and personnel from the PUC’s Pipeline Safety and Electric Safety Divisions Wednesday said they are continuing their work in Beaver County following Monday morning’s incident involving a natural gas gathering line.
“We appreciate the strong interest in this incident – especially for the residents directly impacted by the fire and evacuation – and safe pipeline operations is top priority for the Commission,” said PUC Chairman Gladys M. Brown. “It is important to understand that these are complex incidents that require extensive work by PUC engineers and other experts before any conclusions can be reached.”
The PUC Pipeline Safety Division continues to coordinate with local emergency responders to inspect the incident scene – though inclement weather and poor on-site conditions continue to limit access to the site.
Pipeline Safety Engineers have confirmed the following:
-- The incident involved a 24-inch natural gas gathering line located in Center Township, Beaver County, operated by Energy Transfer Partners. Gathering lines are pipelines used to transport crude oil or natural gas from production sites to collection or transmission sites.
-- The pipeline is in what is known as a Class 3 location. Location classification (Class 1 through 4) is based on population density near the pipeline, per federal standards – with Class 1 lines located in the most lightly populated areas and Class 4 lines located in the most densely populated areas.
-- The pipeline falls under the jurisdiction of the PUC’s Pipeline Safety Division based on Act 127 of 2011, the “Pipeline Act,” which expanded the Commission’s authority to enforce federal pipeline safety laws as they relate to gas and hazardous liquids pipeline equipment and facilities within the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
-- The pipeline was recently constructed and was in the process of being energized when the incident occurred.
-- The pipeline was pressure tested in 2017 and 2018.
-- The investigation by the PUC’s Pipeline Safety Division will examine all aspects of construction and operation, to identify the nature and cause of the incident.
-- The PUC continues to coordinate with Beaver County Emergency Management, the Department of Environmental Protection and other utilities operating in the area around the incident site.
-- Any potential investigations by other state or federal agencies would be separate and independent of the PUC pipeline safety investigation.
In addition to the natural gas line involved in Monday’s incident, there was damage to nearby high voltage electric transmission and distribution lines and towers for FirstEnergy/West Penn Power and Duquesne Light.
The utilities were able to re-route power around the damaged area for most customers and service was restored to all remaining locations yesterday. The PUC’s Electric Safety Division and Bureau of Technical Utility Services will continue to receive regular updates from the utilities as permanent repair work continues.
The Pipeline Safety and Electric Safety Divisions are part of the PUC’s independent Bureau of Investigation and Enforcement (I&E). Safety engineers are in the field daily, conducting inspections of utility construction, operations and integrity management activities.
They also investigate issues discovered during their inspections, along with incidents reported by utility operators, emergency response agencies and other concerned third parties.
As a policy, I&E does not comment on details of investigations until they result in enforcement action or a formal petition or complaint filed before the Commission.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
In Lancaster Co the pipe line is running within 30 yards of homes. I would not be livig in those homes but who would buy them if the owners put them on the market?

·
Registered
12,163 Posts
In Lancaster Co the pipe line is running within 30 yards of homes. I would not be livig in those homes but who would buy them if the owners put them on the market?
Would this be something that a realtor or anyone selling a house or property be required to make known under full disclosure?
Also, if the sale was not completed due to the proximity of the pipeline would the seller be able to sue the pipeline company?

Just asking. I suspect that in the first case it would be the responsibility of the buyer to ask the appropriate question/s; and in the latter the seller would be crushed by the attorneys of the pipeline company. Or maybe that GD Imminent Domain catastrophic thing would be let loose from it's cage to support the pipeline.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I am sure disclosure is required. You would have to be blind not to know a pipeline ran past the properties though because there are Christmas trees ( I think that is what they are called where smaller pipes are above the ground 4 feet or more with valves on them) just across the road, so it is pretty evident. Evident even after the ground heals and has stuff growing on it. So far as aw suits go, I doubt that is possible, perhaps possible to try but I doubt anyone would win. They would have to sue the pipeline builders, the gas company and the government. Right now a group of Nuns at St Anne's have already lost one law suit and are still trying with another because they ran the pipe line through their property and tore down a pavilion they used for some kid of religious services

Reactions: jimsdad

·
Super Moderator
13,709 Posts
Most people have gas pipes, from those larger pipelines, leading right into their homes. They then have smaller gas pipes running through the inside of their homes. Those too have been known to cause explosions that destroyed homes and even killed people.

it is all part of the risk, although ever so slight risk, we all take for the advantages of the improved lifestyle we all expect. It all comes at some level of risk as well. I am sure it is still a lot more dangerous to drive down the highway than it is live near a gas pipeline, be it a large or small one.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
America runs on pipelines, they are the safest way to move any fuel products which we all benefit from.

·
Registered
12,252 Posts
Most people have gas pipes, from those larger pipelines, leading right into their homes. They then have smaller gas pipes running through the inside of their homes. Those too have been known to cause explosions that destroyed homes and even killed people.

it is all part of the risk, although ever so slight risk, we all take for the advantages of the improved lifestyle we all expect. It all comes at some level of risk as well. I am sure it is still a lot more dangerous to drive down the highway than it is live near a gas pipeline, be it a large or small one.

Dick Bodenhorn

You can also get methane gas naturally from the ground that can cause explosions. Water wells have been known to contain methane. My water well had methane in it. I ended up having to put in a holding tank outside with a vent so that the water went from the well into the tank where the methane could escape. Then pump into the house. I put in a large tank so I have alot more holding capacity too.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts

Dick Bodenhorn

Well put.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts