The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking into getting a .223 for use when I am primarily targeting coyotes. Just not satisfied with the performance of my .17 Fireball on coyotes this year. If anyone has been using one for fox and coyotes, I'd appreciate your input via a pm or on this thread.

What bullet are you using (type and grains) and how has it performed on both fox and coyote as far as 1.) fur damage 2.)killing humanely.

What gun are you using and would you buy it and this caliber again?

Any insights into this as a predator/varmint caliber?

Thanks .223 users!

·
Registered
693 Posts
I'm shooting a Remington Model 700 .223 ... 55 grain Hornady V-Max ... The 4 fox I have killed this year dropped in there tracks, and damage wasn't horrible at all.

It's all about shot placement though ...

·
Registered
927 Posts
I had a 223 for a while sold it now I use my 204, same thing really I only sold it because I had both and I didnt like the rifle my 223 was in not the cartrige. On a coyote it will just drop it right there no problem, infact I just maksure tye cross hairs are anywhere on the chest and bingo its dead. no suffering no exit. Foxes need a bit better shot placment but not bad either. If you want to find them everytime get a 223.

·
Premium Member
24,077 Posts
I have a Savage Model 25 Walking Varminter in 223, it's dead on at 200 yards. I use reloads in mine and here's the recipe:

27 1/2 grains BC 2 powder
55 gr Sierra Boat tail

or shoot Remington 55gr psp factory loads

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
mcharlton said:
I'm shooting a Remington Model 700 .223 ... 55 grain Hornady V-Max ... The 4 fox I have killed this year dropped in there tracks, and damage wasn't horrible at all.

What do you have luck with for shot placement?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone...starting to sound positive except for dog duster I am pleasantly surprised fox pelts are ok. I'm thinking of using the BL-C2 with the .55 grain VMAX to pick up the extra 100 fps. My reloading book says they will run at 3200 fps and drop 7.2" at 300 which is my distance limit. The 50 grainers seem to drop 6.9" so not a big trade off for the extra 40 ft pds. in energy at 300 yards.

I am really surprised that the wind drift is horrible for the .223 and .22-250...actually not that different from my little .17 caliber 25 grain Bergers I am using now. I don't get that part...thought they would have much less wind drift being twice as heavy of a bullet. Around 11" in a mere 10 mph wind at 300 yards. Still 9+ " with the 22.250.

Like to hear some more feedback on pelt damage if possible.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Double Lung 20 said:
mcharlton said:

What do you have luck with for shot placement?
Stay away from bone ... Take the center chest when front facing and stay behind the shoulder when broadside ... I haven't had any serious fur damage this year, and 2 of the 4 were close range

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Be very carefull with the Calhoon loads, there has been a few put double loads in 1 case by accident. One fried the case to the bolt face. Load them with a reduced load of 4064, I use 22GR.4064, CCI small rifle primer,but read the manual I am not saying to use it and a 55gr winchester soft point. Very litle damage. I had dropped deer with this load numerous times. I do not shoot past 150 yards though at deer, coyotes, bullets are cheap.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Dog Duster...I appreciated your PM. I meant that your load was no good on fox but others seemed to have good results on fox.

The Savage Predator Model 10 with the 24" barrell sure seems pretty sweet. Can a man have to many guns? :)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am not interested in reduced loads...builds up too much pressure. I'll be loading it full steam :)

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
300 yards in the wind, or no wind at all at night is unethical in my book of predator calling. I prefer to call them in to a more safer killing range. Any hunter knows thats takeing a good chance at wounding a animal instead of killing it, or a bullet bounceing off the frozen ground. Groundhogs in the daylight, 300 yards, piece of cake, and still possible bad hits. If your putting a bullet in the boiler room or under the neck lodgeing in the spine, that animal is not going anywhere. No matter what gun at 300 yards any hunter is going to have at least 20% run off if not far more at that range.

good read any shot through a freezing cold barrel is near as bad as a over heated barrel.
http://search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A0oG7pWMAwZR7mwA2VUPxQt.;_ylu=X3oDMTBybnZlZnRlBHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMQRjb2xvA2FjMgR2dGlkAw--/SIG=11t2j39uk/EXP=1359377420/**http://www.longrangebpcr.com/Accuracy.htm

1 - 14 of 14 Posts