The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Asking for opinions. Is the .223 adequate for deer?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Proper bullet and shot placement with a confident shooter yes.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Yes and no. In the hands of the right hunter yes, in the hands of most hunters no.
I have killed two deer in my life with a 22 caliber center fire, but see no reason to ever do it again.

·
Registered
9,485 Posts
I think it depends on the circumstances.If you already owned one and that was the only rifle you had to use and you were goin to shoot in the clear open then I would say yes if you are profeciant with it.But no if you are goin shoppin for a strictly deer rifle.Just my .02.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
BDoc said:
Shot my first buck/deer through the heart with a .222.
I didn't hit mine there, but it was a very sick dieing deer when dad finished it off, that was back in 1957. Killed one with a 22-250 back in the late 70s or early 80s. That one was shot through the heart.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Sure is!!
I've taken MANY deer with my ol' Win. Model 70 223.
With a smaller cal. shot placement certainly becomes more critical,get to know your firearm and it's limitations(as well as yours).
I've since realized I needed something bigger,
now I knock'em down with a 22-250

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
I killed a Deer years back with a 223 Rem. and a heavy handloaded Win 64 gr Powerpoint bullet.Did it kill the Deer? Yes. Would I buy or recommend a 223 Rem as a Deer rifle? No Way. To many other cartridges much more suitable out there. I would set the 243 Win. as minimum.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
i knew a NY game warden that would hunt late season, in deeper snow, with a .223 in a HK semiauto sporter rifle. Very selective with his shots, but he would drop them nicely (according to him, and he did not b.s. very much).

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
I have shot a few with a .222 and seen them shot with .223. It will do the job. I think its a good gun for a youngster who is comfortable with shooting and shot placement.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
IMO, absolutely! One shot kills, easy recoveries:

My oldest has now taken four deer with the .223, and aside from one clean miss, we have recovered every deer she has shot at. The younger's doe came on her first shot ever taken on game with that gun, so she's just getting started.

A couple of self-imposed caveats:

1) My kids don't take hard quartering-to shots or Texas heart shots, where heavy bone must be penetrated.

2) We do not take direct frontal shots or intentional spine shots (smaller margin for error).

3) Neither my kids or I intentionally shoot deer in the head or neck.

I can't say if the .223 works in any of those three cases, because we have not tried it (and have no plans to do so). For myself, I prefer to carry a bit larger caliber, but that doesn't change the fact that the .223 will get 'er done.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Shot placement is key. I have trained my daughter how to shoot using a crossbow. Shot placement is the #1 thing we concentrate on. Secondly is proper trigger use. If you place a shot from a 223 in a quartering away or broadside deer its going to go down.

N270....Awesom pictures. Very proud father I'm guessing

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
its been discussed a lot of these forums and the answer is always the same. bullet placement. me personally, i would not use it. i like more energy than the 223 has. where i hunt its SF so if you let a deer run off, you may lose it. if you have a big piece of private property where the deer aren't spooked and you can pick and choose your shots and not risk a wounded deer running into another hunter then maybe. but to me, a hunter has a duty to quickly dispatch game with as little suffering as possible. i like them to drop over with a big hole through and through or run a few steps at most.

its a good round to get kids introduced to centerfire shooting but honestly i say if a kid can't comfortably handle a 30/30 or 308 then maybe they should wait a few years. i have a sweet 223 (rem 7615) that is accurate and light and would make a good hunting gun but i won't use it for deer.

·
Registered
435 Posts
A buddy of mine killed 3 deer this year with his .204 ruger. One looked like my 7mm hit it, lungs were mush. Ideal...no. Effective yep.

·
Registered
5,790 Posts
Yes one of the most deadliest choices out there. 50 grain hornady sx 1 shot kills. Anywhere in front of deer it will work. I used one for many years do to a shoulder injury in 2 states 1 shot kills. I would by choice take a 223 over a 308 any day. One thing that most people dont know about the 223 is barrel twist. Most 22-250's area 1:14 twist where the 223 most of the time is 12 to 8 twist. The extra spin imo makes a difference on terminal performance. Also fragmintation is important every grain of that bullet fragments doing its job. I loaned it to a friend who was recovering from a carprol tunnel op, he took 2 deer with it and was amazed. Said i cant believe this gun dropped both in there tracks. Ask him compared to his 30-06 with 3 times the case capacity, 3 times larger bullet, 3 times powder capacity will it out perform the 223 by 3 times. I have seensome pretty nasty damage to deer by this caliber where you woukld of thought it was a larger gun.

·
Registered
378 Posts
You can also kill a deer with a .22 long rifle but why I have to ask would you, by choice, use a clearly small caliber which nearly everyone here agrees requires well placed shot.

I can build a house with Popsicle sticks but should I? To each there own. Use what you wish, just my thoughts.

·
Registered
378 Posts
outofstater said:
Yes one of the most deadliest choices out there. 50 grain hornady sx 1 shot kills. Anywhere in front of deer it will work. I used one for many years do to a shoulder injury in 2 states 1 shot kills. I would by choice take a 223 over a 308 any day. One thing that most people dont know about the 223 is barrel twist. Most 22-250's area 1:14 twist where the 223 most of the time is 12 to 8 twist. The extra spin imo makes a difference on terminal performance. Also fragmintation is important every grain of that bullet fragments doing its job. I loaned it to a friend who was recovering from a carprol tunnel op, he took 2 deer with it and was amazed. Said i cant believe this gun dropped both in there tracks. Ask him compared to his 30-06 with 3 times the case capacity, 3 times larger bullet, 3 times powder capacity will it out perform the 223 by 3 times. I have seensome pretty nasty damage to deer by this caliber where you woukld of thought it was a larger gun.
het outofstater why would you post this: "Maybe not everyone but a good % of members here. My 6x284 is compariable to your 240 whby which is a nice caliber."

when asked about hunting with a .243

if you think a 223 is so deadly- why would you suggest someone hunt with a 223 when you hunt with a 6mm?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts