The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
would a .222 be good for fox and coyote? How much fur dmg would it do to a fox?

·
Registered
707 Posts
If you handload stick with lower end loads. Suggestion 50 grainers at approx.2800-3000fps. It will knock down fox and yote. The bullet selection will be the key. Maybe Sierras 50-52gr.would be a place to start. Have fun.

·
Super Moderator
2,514 Posts
.222 is ideal for fox & coyote. Look at the Hornandy 50gr. SPSX and keep it under 3k fps

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
What is the deal about keeping the velocity low??? I was told the Varmint Grenade bullets by Barnes at high velocities penetrate the hide and explode inside the Yote or fox with very minimal hide damage and an instant kill..

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
I've killed a couple fox with the .222 over a 20g and haven't had any problems. I just use the standard ammo (rem 50g), since I don't load my own. Haven't had a chance to try it out yet on a Yote. Accurate, that's for sure.

·
Banned
19,532 Posts
when I was first getting started hunting in the early 1980's, all you did was mention varmint or predator hunting, and immediately the 222 would come up.

Today it seems all but dead as far as gun sales goes.

I guess the 223 was too hard to compete with, with so much cheap ammo available.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Why is everyone so worked up over busting up the fur. If you want one to mount trap it. If not just save a fawn,or a turkey, and shoot a coyote. There are plenty to go around. I also chose by the way to shoot a 6mm Remington with a 95gSST. Usually rips them up but it achieves the over all goal KILL COYOTE!

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Shot a coyote with a full power 180gr PSP 30-06 last season. It definately got the job done. For actual hunting of the such critters, .223. Not loooking for a mount or anything. Turkeys are on the rebound in areas that were few past 20 years, and so the fox number is also increasing so I just wanna keep the predator pop in check.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
.223 with hornady 50 grain vmax is excellant for yotes. A few have fallen to my rifle. It's devasting on fox. Two pieces is all I say on one my buddy hung a number on. Maybe if you dialed them down I dunno. But their wicked on fox to say the least.

·
Registered
6,465 Posts
Gerald Stewart made comment about Nosler/Winchester Combined Technologies ,.224 Silvertip bullets are outstanding as a fur bullet.. He was using them in a 223..
You can buy this Winchester bullet on the shelf for the 223. However you would have to reload for it for a 222..
It comes in 50 grain and 55 grain...
I have tried it so far in a 22250 for chucks. At 100 yards it rips them..However at close range point blank out to 100 yards it does not damage them..This is with a 22250... So Gerald Stewart using the Winchester Silvertip factory in his 223 for bobcat probably has merit...Reload it in a 222 and it's probably going to be better yet..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts