The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was thinking about getting a nice low recoil gun for varmint hunting and a gun that my wife could use for deer hunting if she decides to go. i would like your guys thought on the 222 or 223 i will be reloading so cost of ammo is not an issue.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
There's not a whole lot of difference between the two. Many more rifles are chambered in the .223 these days. I prefer a bigger caliber for deer but plenty have been killed effectively with 222/223's. You might also consider a 22-250 with reduced loads for varmints if recoil is a problem for your wife. Then you could load it up a little heavier for whitetails than the smaller .22's.

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
If you're going shoot deer with it, get the .223, and get one with a barrel twist that will stabilize the heavier bullets. The you can load up some 60gr nosler partitions, or 62gr barnes triple shocks for the deer. You should be able to get the 50 or 55 gr vmax's(or something similar) to work in the same rifle for the ground grizzlies.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
IMO First I have a 222 and no need to hunt deer with it. If I had to pick it would be .223 cause of twist. If I were in your shoes I'ed think along the lines of .243 Good for deer and Varmints. Re-coil is low for anyone,kids, woman or re-coil shy men. Good Luck anyways...later

·
Registered
805 Posts
Of the two I would go with the 223, only because it is the more popular of the two, brass is much easier to come by.
But if reloading a new round the sky is the limit, I don’t think either of these rounds are what anyone would call an ideal Deer round.
As mentioned the 243 would a better choice, my wife is not into varmint hunting, but has taken several deer with her 270 that I load with reduced loads, no complaints on the recoil.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Same as everyone else has said 223 out of two. IF you dont want to go to a 243 an want to hunt deer with it. I'd make sure you ust a GOOD heavy bullet. TSX, Win 64PP, 60gr Partition, or even a 75gr AMAX.

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
If his wife may or may not hunt, and he wants one of the two calibers he mentioned calibers for varmint hunting, I see no reason why a deer or two can't be harvested without a problem with the .223(or the .222 for that matter), with the appropriate bullets. I wouldn't buy a gun I really didn't want, on the chance that my wife "might" decide to hunt with it, just because it would be potentially better for deer once or twice that it gets used on them.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Personally,Ive taken more deer with a .223 than any other rifle in the safe.It'll do the job if you do yours.
Most importantly,no matter what you decide,get her out there to practice with the firearm and learn its capabilities.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I love the .222, but there is no doubt there are many more rifles chambered for the .223-I am not sure if there even is a new gun chambered for the .222. Also, if you don't reload, ammo is much cheaper, easier to find, and you have a variety of choices with the .223.

Will

·
Registered
995 Posts
45-53 grain tsx's will stabilize in a 1/14 twist .222 or .223. They should be all you need in a .222 or .223. In my experience tsx's open up best at slightly higher velocity. So why not just run a lighter bullet faster? Tikka makes several rifles that are light weight in .222 and .223. There are also many used rifles available in .222 or .223. Ammo for the .222 can be hard to find and also expensive. The opossite is true for the .223.

I have also shot 63 grain sierras and 60 grain hornadies in a few .222s. Some barrels give .2 inch accuracy with this bullet weight. In other barrels I had to fight to get under an inch. My one .222 likes 3031 and the 60 grain hornady. I found that I could knock on the 3000 fps door with a 60 grainer and ww 748 even with a 19 inch barrel. Out of a 24 inch barrel the velocity of the 55 grain bullet in a .222 will equal the velocity of the 55 grain bullet coming out of the carbine length barrel of an m-16. Since the military goes to war with this amount of power I think that I can ethically go hunting pa deer with it. In fact I have yet to lose a deer with my .222. In my experience it will do more damage and kill faster than my compound bow.

As you can see I enjoy the .222 remington. I will admit however that the extra power and ammo and gun availability of the .223 make it a better gun for 95 percent of people.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
The only reason to choose a 222 over a 223 is if you find a sceaming deal on a niced used gun.

Even though I reload I like the idea I can just stop to grab a box on the way to the range at times.

While I think a 243 may be a lot better in a deer hunting pinch, no reason a 223 wouldn't suffice if care was taken.

My buddies step-mom hunts deer with a 223. She never hunts alone. Always beside the ole man. He has a 7mm rem mag at all times. If the shot opportunity isn't perfect she stands down. Not because of the gun, but she questions her ability.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
.223 for sure, many cheaper types of ammo and it shoots faster, a big plus in varmint hunting.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts