The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have owned a 22-250 but never a 220 swift. Do you think one has a advantage over the other. I know the 22-250 can shoot a heavier bullet, but other than that, is one better than the other? Going to get one or the other in the spring.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Everything else being equal, the swift should have 150/200 FPS more velocity. They both shoot the same diameter bullet, so any bullet you can shoot out of the 22-250 can also be shot out of the swift.

Good luck, Tony

·
Registered
873 Posts
My brother has a 220 swift and loves it. I have a 22-250 and love mine. They both shoot great.

But they are so close when it comes to ballistics. It's really not that much different. My savage heavy barrel out shoots my brothers Ruger sporter barreled swift. Today with bdc scopes and turrets readily available. Speed in my opinions isn't as much of a factor. I shoot what is most accurate out of my gun. Even if it is a little slower or faster then the norm. My brother always boasts that his 220 swift is touching the 4000 fps mark. But if he can't hit the target. What does it matter.

Good luck in your decision.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
Either one is a super round and I am betting no groundhog could tell difference in velocity.

·
Registered
951 Posts
If you have already owned a 22-250 why not get a swift to have something different. Also the swift has the cool factor.
Drags

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
drags said:
If you have already owned a 22-250 why not get a swift to have something different. Also the swift has the cool factor.
Drags
You think the same way I do. Some people just dont understand that cool factor.

Good luck, Tony

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Tony300wby said:
They both shoot the same diameter bullet, so any bullet you can shoot out of the 22-250 can also be shot out of the swift.
Depends on barrel, MOST (maybe all) non-custom swifts are 1:14, but production 22-250 are available from 9-14, savage offers 9 and 12.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Gunjack said:
My brother always boasts that his 220 swift is touching the 4000 fps mark. But if he can't hit the target. What does it matter.
If he is "touching" 4000 he either has a slow barrel or isn't aware of the right powder/bullet combo's.

My pet load out of my Ruger 77V Swift runs a 50 grain Ballistic Tip at 4180 fps (.22-250 ain't gonna go there) and averages under .5" for 5 shots at 100 yards. Simply switching to a 52 grain Hornady HPBTM drops me 100 fps. But that load will occasionally go under .2" for 3 shots at 100 yards.

Speed AND can hit what it's shooting at.......

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
tundragriz said:
Tony300wby said:
They both shoot the same diameter bullet, so any bullet you can shoot out of the 22-250 can also be shot out of the swift.
Depends on barrel, MOST (maybe all) non-custom swifts are 1:14, but production 22-250 are available from 9-14, savage offers 9 and 12.
Tony300wby said:
Everything else being equal, the swift should have 150/200 FPS more velocity. They both shoot the same diameter bullet, so any bullet you can shoot out of the 22-250 can also be shot out of the swift.

Good luck, Tony

·
Banned
3,227 Posts
Does any manufacturer still make a 220 swift?

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
My dad knew a gentleman who had a 220 Swift. He watched him shoot deer at 600 yards with it with ease.(not saying you should unless your comfortable ) he said most times ''the deer would drop before the gun cracked'' dad always wanted one, but he's gone now and never got one. I almost bought one years ago, but bought a dirt bike instead... Dummy me!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts