The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those who have owned/shot both...how do they stack-up?? I never owned either...only a 22LR in the rimfire class.

Been readin many 17ers are going back to the ole 22 Win Mag!

Any input appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
850 Posts
i have both i will give the 17 the accuracy and the 22wmr the power edge.not that much difference in the accuracy,big difference in raw power.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
I've shot both and both are fun. Seems to me the 17 is louder, possibly because of the higher velocity.

As Jim said the 22 rfm is significantly more powerful. The 22 RFM is traditionally a 40 grain hp slug compared to the 17 or 20 grain bullets of the 17 rfm.

I use my 22 mag to kill hogs, even some urban varmints. So the sound level favors the 22 rfm. But more importantly, even though shots are close, I want a dead hog, not a runner/dragger to smell later. Again the 22 RFM is better for me.

I think the 17 would only be superior where ricochets where a consideration. The 17 works good on crows in winter wheat fields, as with a crow it is either a hit or miss. But the soft low crop fields seldom have ricochet problems, except for the occasional small flat stone.

The new 30 grain v-max probably made the 17 rfm history, but time will tell.

The 22 mag isn't cheap ammo, but usually cheaper and more choice where I buy mine.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
as the available ammo increases and rifle mfgr's begin to recognize it more, the 5mm Rimfire will see a marked increas of market share. Until that day - i'm going to continue running the 22WMR.

·
Registered
10,661 Posts
jim stemler said:
i have both i will give the 17 the accuracy and the 22wmr the power edge.not that much difference in the accuracy,big difference in raw power.
I agree. My CZ 17 is super accurate but if I had to pick one for hunting it would be the 22 mag.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
At the muzzle a .22WMR generates about 75fpe more than the .17HMR. At 150yds the .17 is beginning to pass the .22. I think the frontal area of the .22WMR may do a better job of transmitting fpe to the critter of choice.

I was against the .17HMR when it was released and believed it to be a ridiculous cartridge. After witnessing the killing potential of one, while hunting with a friend who ownes a Marlin, I began to change my mind. I ended up buying a .17HMR in June of 2010 for some of my closer shooting and I've had great success with it. I currently use the 20gr XTPs and I've only lost one or two to bad hits with one shot kills being made out to 140+/-yds.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Dog, you seem to sumarize pretty good. So If hunting the 22 RFM. If plinking or target, maybe the 22LR, highly accurate and very light on the wallet?

The 17RFM seems to be another one of those newbie cartridges that fill no niche and really isn't needed. Not a bad shell, just who needs it? I guess I'd throw lots of the WSM and RSAUM into that pop also. No one thing wrong with them, but they really don't solve andy hunter/shooter problem.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
As a hunting round - I'll take the 22WMR everyday
As a target/fun round - the 17RFM takes the cake.

So it all depends what you are planning to do with the new round

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Its like comparing a 270 to a 30-06..... the 17 is flatter shooting and faster... the 22 mag is a little bigger and harder hitting, but slower and less downrange trajectory.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
jim stemler said:
Perfect analysis!

·
Registered
12,166 Posts
Loggy, I have had both and now only have the HMR. While I believe that much can be said for the quality of the firearm launching both projectiles, in my experience the HMR is much more accurate and because of that can deliver killing shots at greater ranges. Check out this Varmint Al link: http://varmintal.com/17hmr.htm

·
Registered
889 Posts
I have both as well as many 22 LR rifles.

First of all the 22 magnum and 17 HMR are not target or practice rounds. They are strictly hunting rounds. The 22 LR is the target or practice round. Why would you pay substantially more for practice rounds?? Buy a 22 LR if fun shooting is the game.

Price difference is not real important between the two if you only use them for what they are suppose to be used for-which is hunting.

For the slightly larger critters I prefer the 22 magnum. Like ground hogs, and foxes, and even the occasional coyote.

For smaller critters I like the 17. Mostly for gophers, and prarie dogs, and crows.

Neither cartrdige makes a good squirrel cartridge. Both are way too much for squirrels,. As well as being considerably more unsafe than sub-sonic 22 LR shells in the woods.

I give a slight accuracy advantage to the 17 HMR. But that is mostly due to better bullets being available in the 17. But that is also why the 17 costs a little more. However both have excellent "hunting accuracy". So for "hunting accuracy" I woud consider them about the same.

Personally I like the 22 magnum with the slightly heaver bullets a bit better than the 17. But both make a good choice. Choose one and hunt with it. If target practice is your goal, then buy neither, buy a 22 LR. Tom.

·
Premium Member
23,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks much for all the great input so far!!

·
Registered
9,479 Posts
I highly disagree from my experiences of killin hundreds of critters with both of these rifles.The .17HMR wins hands down with no comparison.Yeah,the mag is alttle heavier but that don,t come close to the exsplosive effect the .17HMR has on game.Every hog I shot with the .17 blows them up,it has awesome destruction capabilities.No rifle works well with poor shot placement and I use my .17 with great success on all varmints includin yotes.To each his own but I first hand know what that itsy bitsy bullit can do,pure devistation.

·
Premium Member
23,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I see that CCI now offers a 17 HMR GamePoint in 20grs for those squirrel hunters who wunt more than Squirrel burger! lol.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have me .17 HMR going on 6 years, and i've got no complaints. Shot loads of groundhogs and squirrles,5 foxes, 2 turkeys and even a few cats. Its a very good flat shooting gun. All the old guys I work with shoot 22 mag. all the young guys shoot .17s. The young guys like myself are always killing more critters than the old guys. I guess you can't teach a old dog new tricks

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Loggy, what critter do you plan to hunt? For hogs, I love the 17 HMR. More accurate at a longer range simply because it is flatter and you don't have to calculate bullet drop as much as the 22 WMR.

If you are hunting fox, 22 WMR for sure. Simply more energy for a bigger critter.

I have both and love both.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Question: for those of you who use both the .17 and .22 WMR, which will cause the LEAST amount of pelt damage on a red fox?
And, is the .22 WMR too much for gray squirrels?
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
23,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
westernhunter said:
Loggy, what critter do you plan to hunt? For hogs, I love the 17 HMR. More accurate at a longer range simply because it is flatter and you don't have to calculate bullet drop as much as the 22 WMR.

If you are hunting fox, 22 WMR for sure. Simply more energy for a bigger critter.

I have both and love both.
Mostly squirrels & some groundhog and yote huntin out to bot 100 yds.

·
Registered
889 Posts
beard collector said:
All the old guys I work with shoot 22 mag. all the young guys shoot .17s. The young guys like myself are always killing more critters than the old guys. I guess you can't teach a old dog new tricks

By reading your post it sounds like you are one of those young guys. When you get older you will learn that with age comes wisdom. And you will also learn that hunting is not only about "how many" you kill.

I am not degrading what you are saying, as I fully understand what you are saying. And I will openly admit that I thought the same way when I was younger. But as I get older it is not as important to me to "kill a bunch of critters".

Many times in the squirrel woods i just plain didn't shoot at squirrles that I could have easily killed. At times I more enjoy the watching, than the killing. You will understand that when you get older. Did I mention the wisdom part?? Tom.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts