The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of buying a 22 Win mag. Be used for squirrel, groundhogs etc. inside the 100 yard line.

Whats a decent bolt action out there without spending an arm & a leg?? Sharing of any 22 WMR ownership experience appreciated.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I had a Marlin and it shot really well. I free floated the barrel on it, shot different ammo until I found some that the rifle liked,and bought several hundred rounds.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Ruger 77-22 great gun great value my rifle is a tack driver

·
Registered
398 Posts
I love my Ruger! Also my two hunting friends have Marlins, they are a great gun for the money.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
On the low end Marlin bolt/clip; super accurate we have 4 in the family.
On a higher end CZ and you might take a look at The Browning T-blot, beautiful and accurate.

·
Super Moderator
4,566 Posts
I have the el cheapo Savage and it is very accurate.May buy another so my kid will give mine back,He is getting really good with it though.He needs to slow down a bit.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I have, and have had several different 22 magnums. Including an Anschutz and a Kimber of Oregon rifle. As well as the Marlins. I had a Savage but got rid of it pretty quick.

However hands down, my go to 22 magnum is a Winchestr 9422 in 22 magnum. I just don't think you can beat a lever action in a rimfire rifle. Tom.

·
Premium Member
23,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Any Savage 93FV heavy barrel owners??

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I picked up a Savage 93BTV in .17HMR this summer and it shoots great but I don't think you could go wrong with any of the better quality Marlins, Savages, Rugers, CZ's etc in .22 Mag. I'd be a little leary of the "budget" rimfires that are on the market, even by the bigger manufacturers, they can be a little to cheap.

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
For a low-end rifle I had a 22 mag in a single shot handi rifle that I shot the new Hornady V-max 30 grain. It was a tac-driver of a gun and would drop a hog out to 125 yards with one shot with this explosive ammo!!

I sold this gun and "moved up" to a Winchester 9422 in 22 mag. I shoot the same Hornady 22 V-max ammo and it's still a tac-driving ammo from this gun and will still drop a fat hog at 125 yards with one shot with ease!!

If you have the bucks....buy the winchester...if you don't, but the handi!! But in either case, shoot the Hornady 30gr v-max ammo and you can't go wrong.

SW

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
I've owned 2 different Marlin 22WMR's and both were sub-1" guns. the old one was a Model 25MN, and my current rifle is a 882SSV. the Marlin is a FINE rifle with aftermarket support - boyd's sells a few stocks for them and if you get an older rifle I can take care of or show you how to do the trigger yourself...mine breaks right around 2lbs and snaps like a candy cane.

Here's some targets to show you what my marlin will do any given day:
5 position, 5 shots per group
100 yard 5 shot group - one called flyer and one inconsistent powder charge...3 in SAME hole
50 yard 5 shot group. Nuff said...

·
Premium Member
23,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Some nice shootin there jayd4wg!!

Thanks for your PM!!

·
Premium Member
23,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nice lookin gun B&G!!!! Whut is it??

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Marlin. Was black stock but I don't care for that look. Had stock camo'ed by Liquid Illusions shoots as Marlins do good. Like to put a trigger in it but the $$$ are gettin into this gun with stock and scope I just hunt with it ????...later

·
Registered
20,869 Posts
I've had three different malin 22 mag's that all shot good.Right now I have a Ruger ss that also shoots good.I'm not nuts about the way any of the heavy barreled Marlins or savages feel and a heavy barrel isn't necessary in a 22 mag anyway.I'd buy another ruger or a CZ if I was in the market for a 22 mag.For the money,cz rimfires are tough to beat in my experience.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts