The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who's got one or the other or both ??

I have an RWS 34 .177 and it's a good gun. Just hankering for a bigger hunk of lead. Been wondering if .22 is enough of a step up or should I go to a .25. Not worried about ammo availability...……….. I know you won't likely find .25 pellets in Walmart. But no biggie. Is there a big or noticeable difference in impact/terminal performance between the .22 and the .25 ??

Whatever ya got to add...……….appreciate it.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Guess that narrows your choices a bit. I don't have experience with either, but if you're going to use in the field, sounds like .17 or .22. Have fun and good luck!!

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
I don't understand the reasoning behind capping air rifle caliber at .22. .25 is ballistically superior, inherently accurate and generally produces higher impact energies with less velocity and worry of hitting objects beyond the intended target, especially when compared to ANY rimfire bullet. Makes zero sense...

·
Banned
2,401 Posts
I’d say the reason has nothing to do with the 25 cal itself. Quite simply they had to draw a line somewhere. 22 probably just made sense since that’s the max size for rimfire for small game. You know that if the limit wasn’t there someone would be out there popping squirrels out of the trees with a 50cal, just because the could.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’d say the reason has nothing to do with the 25 cal itself. Quite simply they had to draw a line somewhere. 22 probably just made sense since that’s the max size for rimfire for small game. You know that if the limit wasn’t there someone would be out there popping squirrels out of the trees with a 50cal, just because the could.
Yeah...…………...makes sense to limit air gun caliber to .22 since the .25's half ALMOST half the muzzle energy of a .22 SHORT...……………...but not quite.

:uzi:

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
In a .22 I would just stick with the RWS 34. No way to go wrong there.

In a .25 I was looking at the Remington 725VTR.......maybe a Benjamin XL 725........ The Benjamin is a hulk of a gun, though.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
In a .22 I would just stick with the RWS 34. No way to go wrong there.

In a .25 I was looking at the Remington 725VTR.......maybe a Benjamin XL 725........ The Benjamin is a hulk of a gun, though.

You're not kidding, I have the Benjamin XL725 in .25 cal and it is the heaviest gun I own. It's heavier than my 12 gauge sporting clays o/u with 30 inch barrels. I think it would be fine at the range for target shooting but it's to heavy to lug around in the woods in my opinion.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You're not kidding, I have the Benjamin XL725 in .25 cal and it is the heaviest gun I own. It's heavier than my 12 gauge sporting clays o/u with 30 inch barrels. I think it would be fine at the range for target shooting but it's to heavy to lug around in the woods in my opinion.
What pellet are you shooting ?? Have you chrono'ed it ?? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
What pellet are you shooting ?? Have you chrono'ed it ?? Thanks.
No, I've never fired the thing. My brother passed away a couple years ago and willed it to me, it's sat in the safe since. He was an avid airgun guy, I'm not. I recall being very surprised at the size and weight of that gun when I opened the case.

·
Registered
89 Posts
TX200 is a nice gun for springer and said to be pretty accurate regardless of “artillery” hold or not. If moving into PCP the .25 Marauder has a GM barrel and is thought to be more accurate than their .22 version.

JSBs are your friends.

There’s a guy in Hawaii using an Evanix RSII in .22 for wild hogs with a lot of success. I’ve had the same rifle and it’s sweet. It’s mid-range for a PCP costing maybe $1200 ish. The Daystates and other euro Guns climb in price fast. There is also the filling gear to add in. Some run 3000 psi and others 4500 psi. When I had PCPs I had 4500 psi setups and refills where a little more challenging.

Then you get into the world of customs. I had a .30 cal being built at one time. Not a .308 but .30 shooting cast pellets. I had the bug for a while.

Now I’d just like to find a nice 300s Running Boar or similar I think. Have 2 CMP 853s for the kids and an old Rocker Safety Silver Streak. I’d like to get into an accurate match springer to not have to deal with air tanks. No time for the guns I have now so likely won’t happen soon.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts