The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Retiredusne8.....after a few hours of continuous up & down I figured out I could sit on my 68 year old butt and still operate the controls plus feed wood! It's called "working smart"!!:grin2:

·
Registered
876 Posts
I have rented, borrowed and now finally bought. I can now split when I have time. When I want. I grabbed a Brave Pro 37 ton. I wanted a good engine. This model comes with a Honda gx motor. Which is something I search out for all my gas powered tools. I love splitting wood.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
I got a tractor supply 22ton. have had some issues. briggs motor had the carb fall off, literally. hydraulic filter is mounted where a rock/stump can hit it if you tow in the woods.

Reactions: Loggy

·
Registered
79 Posts
I use a little DR electric splitter. A friend bought one and liked it so I tried his and it worked great for the splitting I do. I have zero complaints although the "local expert" said it could not split anything over 6 inches. I split stuff up to 24 inches with it.

The pros are it is easy to store and maneuver, no noise and no gas to mess with, plug it in an split. The only con I have is that it is low to the ground so I have to sit or bend over to use it...….bending over hurts.
I have a 5-ton also. Bending over is a pain so I put it up on a piece of plywood on sawhorses.

·
Registered
6,156 Posts
Son-in-law & I went together on a splitter. It's a joy using a splitter.
Got some Ash, Cherry & Oak to do this winter. Once in a while I'll still use the maul on small stuff.

Neighbor gave me Cherry limbs this summer. He kept the logs for lumber. Here's a pic

·
Premium Member
24,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Son-in-law & I went together on a splitter. It's a joy using a splitter.
Got some Ash, Cherry & Oak to do this winter. Once in a while I'll still use the maul on small stuff.

Neighbor gave me Cherry limbs this summer. He kept the logs for lumber. Here's a pic

View attachment 160829 View attachment 160830
Some fine lookin wood there!!(y) I only burned a lil over 2 cords last winter between feeling my Harman a lil coal & the wild winter.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts