The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Towed my buddy's 22 Ton 8hp Lumber Jax Wood Splitter to my place to split some wood today. Man....thinkin I'll never swing my old heavy wood maul again!! First time to use one of these & I'm impressed!! In 4-5 hours effortlessly split over 4 cords out of some oak & maples I took down on my property. My Harman will now have enuff food for this winter!:smile2:

Anyone have some experiences with wood splitters??

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Yes. I'm older now. Work smarter not harder comes to mind anymore :)

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
I still like to split some with the maul just to take the kinks out, after that I brake out the 35 ton Northern splitter. Mine does not go vertical but sure wades through wood. The one thing I have noticed lately, the 20 inch rounds that I used to pick up on to the splitter got heaver. Have to wedge them into chunks now first. I do believe gravity must be changing.

Reactions: OAWC and Loggy

·
Registered
24,822 Posts
I run a 22 ton 3 point hitch vertical splitter off my tractors hydraulic remotes for the wood that needs splitting. then for the smaller stuff this does the trick also 3 point hitch but off the pto

I run two wood sheds one for the current year and the other for the following winter. About 14 cord between the two sheds. This September I finished filing the shed for next winter. This winters supply was filled last fall.

I'll start knocking down trees this month thru the winter then sping and summer cut into rounds split buzz and load the shed in autumn

Attachments

·
Registered
11,133 Posts
I use a little DR electric splitter. A friend bought one and liked it so I tried his and it worked great for the splitting I do. I have zero complaints although the "local expert" said it could not split anything over 6 inches. I split stuff up to 24 inches with it.

The pros are it is easy to store and maneuver, no noise and no gas to mess with, plug it in an split. The only con I have is that it is low to the ground so I have to sit or bend over to use it...….bending over hurts.

Reactions: Loggy

·
Premium Member
24,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nice Timber!! That shouldn't refuse anything you feed it for sure!!

·
Premium Member
24,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
WOW!!! Bring on the cold!!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts