The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Ruger Single Six...That be a mighty fine gun to dispatch critters in a trap...Change the cylinder out to 22 WMR and the Predator caller can take a pot shots on gray and or red fox that try to climb your hunting boot..

Also fur buyer frown on shotgun shot coon...The Single Six is great for shooting coon when they come to your calling and you have a shotgun...

Always though that a Cricket or equal too children 22 would be a great trapping gun..

The cheap used NEF double actions 22LR sure take a lot of shots before you hit a critter that is spinning around the trap set..A short long gun like the Cricket would enable to dispatch with one well placed shot...
What guns do you like for trapping?

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
I like the single six. I don't however like the $450 price tag. I went with a Heritage rough rider. It comes with both cylinders just the same. The biggest difference is the sights. The Ruger has adjustable while the rough rider is a groove. Mine shoots to point of aim with the lr cylinder. I think I may be able to get that shooting some different WRM ammo. Right now it shoots a bit off.

The other thing is the Ruger is a true blued steel gun. Not so much with the rough rider. Check one out and you will see.

I know what you mean about the NEF handguns. Mine shoots terrible at best when the cylinder goes around. Or should I say if it goes around.

For a cheap casual plinking gun or trapping gun it's hard to argue against a rough rider 22.

I think I would rather carry a handgun if I were trapping. Even a cricket is a "long gun" even if it is shorter than some handguns. Not like you can holster it. If you were to go that route you would probably be better off going with a Marlin. They are great shooting guns for the money.

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
I use a Tc Contender with a 10" 22 Match barrel..............I also coon hunt with dogs, and it is much easier to carry a handgun rather than a rifle. The Contender is much more accurate then a standard revolver.......I mean dead accurate, I have dropped coons out of big tall oaks ands hemlocks stone dead. Shots, that I doubt I could have made wit a revolver. I carry the Contender on the trapline too, and it really comes in handy keeping your distance while shooting skunks.........

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Weight is my buggaboo. I carry a k-22 sometimes but it is heavy. I have a Stevens bicycle pistol with a break action and 9 inch barrel, it is just about perfect except someone offered me $600 for it. Now I'm afraid of lossing it on my trap line.

Also looking at a Cricket.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts