The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe the fall air is making me a little crazy, but I think this year I want to take a .22 revolver out for squirrels. Has anyone here done it? Better yet, has anyone ever actually killed a squirrel with one?

·
Registered
25,479 Posts
Squirrels, bunnies, woodchucks, crows and a few other things over the past 28 years.

Taurus M96. Six shot, six inch barrel.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And the range at which these animals were tagged, good sir? I'm not sure I'm patient enough to sneak within three feet of a squirrel :-D

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Absolutely! my brother and I hunt every year for squirrels with 22 revolvers. mine is a 4 inch S&W 17 and he has A M17 S&W with 6 inch barrel. lots of fun! all open sights

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
The hunting of small game is fantastic. The killing of smallgame with a handgun can be very humbling.

I've hunted squirrels several times with a handgun only to come home empty handed. I even missed some easy shots. I'm not that proud. I can admit it.

I don't really know how to explain why I like trying. The challenge? The fun? Not carring if I come home with anything? Not having to carry a rifle or shotgun? Who knows, but it's a heck of a good time. I just wish I had someone to go with.

Last year one day I missed 8 squirrels in less than an hour with a handgun. 2 of them were within 10 yards. The next day I took my marlin 22 rifle. Didn't see one all afternoon. I think they know it's safe.

I hunt rabbits and squirrels with a couple friends usually during the winter (mostly rabbits). A 22 revolver comes in real handy when they aren't quite as dead as you would like. 7/8 oz of lead from a 20 gauge is a bit much in that situation. A shot from a 22 revolver to the head will take care of it quite nicely. I always carry mine when small game hunting.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
I have used my H & R for small game for many years. I have bagged rabbits, squirrels and a grouse. It is great for finishing game that hasn't died from the shotgun and even more fun to just carry it.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Mine is a Ruger super single six and I have taken lots of small game with it. It was mostly a trapping gun but with a rest it would hit a matchbook at 25 yards everytime. Groups would really open up fast after that range though.

I never could enjoy a scoped handgun; I would much rather carry a short carbine rifle than a scoped handgun. Scoped handguns are not very handy in my opinion.

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
I've never hunted tree rats with a handgun. I have hunted deer with a 44 mag handgun and it's very much a challenge vs carrying a rifle!

I can understand the reason you would want to try\do this. If your concerned about the knock down power of the 22LR, then look at buying the Ruger 22 revolver that has a cylinder for both 22LR, and another cylinder for 22 magnums. (I don't recall what they call this model....I just know they make it).

Then you can feel confident that with shooting a 22 magnum rimfire, when you hit it....it's gonna drop!

I have a Winchester 9422 Lever in 22 mag that I shoot the Hornady 30gr. magnum rimfire ammo and this ammo will kill a fat groundhog dead with one shot out to 125 yards easy.

FWIW

SW

·
Registered
25,479 Posts
And the range at which these animals were tagged, good sir? I'm not sure I'm patient enough to sneak within three feet of a squirrel :-D
Have taken tree rats out to about 25-30 yards. Woodchucks and crows a bit farther out. Scootin' bunnies are fun, even actually hit one now and then.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
sig88 said:
Oh man I really want to get a S&W 22lr revolver but they are on the expensive side
Get yourself a $200 Heritage Rough Rider and have a good time. No reason you have to have a higher dollar gun to shot AT tree rats. Maybe your success rate may be a bit higher with a better quality gun, but right now you aren't getting anything with nothing.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
alright then, it's settled! Gonna take out the K-Frame as a backup/alternative to the 12 or the 410 (squirrel busting with a 410 is another urge I've had!) and we'll see if we get anything!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Squirrel hunting with a 22 rifle can be humbling at times. Using a revolver makes it even more difficult. Sounds like you are headed out with a Model 17 (or 617) Smith. Great revolver and good luck.

·
Registered
25,479 Posts
My 6" Taurus is basically a K22 clone. When I bought it new many years ago, the K22 was around $300. The Taurus cost me $125 at the time.

Never regretted it. Still looks as new, very accurate and has a superb SA trigger pull.

Once broke a bunch of eggs in a row with it, at a club field day shoot, offhand at 25 yards. Unfortunately, I only barely nudged the last one and the guy shooting the Hammerli "olympic" pistol cracked that last egg and won.

We were dead even for about 10 shots.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
I use a Ruger Single-Six at times, but usually with the 22 mag cylinder in place. I have taken some squirrels with this handgun, I do not think any rabbits though..

They say a 22mag out of a revolver is close to the specs of a 22 LR out of a rifle barrel.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
I use the lr cylinder in my rough rider. With lr my gun shoots to point of aim at 25 yards, but not so much with the mags. In my gun mags shoot a little low and to the right. I think if I tried a few different brands I could get better results, but haven't done so yet.

I should probably not that my gun has a grooved top strap with a fixed blade sight in front. The single six a really nice adjustable sights.

Either way they will probably hit to different points of aim, and a sight adjustment would probably be required.

·
Registered
12,058 Posts
I use one of my two 22 RF single shot pistols. Or a 32 muzzleloader pistol. Hoever, the shortest barrel on my 22 single shot pistols is 10 inches. I was practicing with my TOZ last night. I was able to hit a half dollar size target at 25 yds pretty much 80%. Not bad for the first time I actually shot it. I need to get some standard velocity 22 RF's though. I have a break open 22 RF made in Brazil. Looks like a real POS, (Like the COMMANCHE 45colt/410, but in 22RF.) Shoots darn good for an $129.00 retail new gun.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I have a Ruger super single six with a Jack Weigand mount and a bushnell 2 to 6 power scope. Groung hogs with the mag out to 50 yards

1 - 20 of 21 Posts