The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
.22 revolver for plinking

What is a good INEXPENSIVE .22 revolver for plinking?

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
Re: .22 revolver for plinking

Heritage revolvers look good, although I don't own one. I have a Single Six along with 4 other .22 handguns. My favorite is my old H & R which I got 45 years ago. If I had a dollar for every round down the tube on that one would be going to Africa for a super safari.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts

I have a Heritage Rough Rider. It's a good gun for plinking, and only costs around $200. I take it to the range with a brick of bullets and my buddies and I take turns with it until we get bored with it. I have both cylinders for mine.

The single six is a much nicer gun, but typically cost around $450 new.

·
Registered
52,307 Posts

I agree with the first 2 guys a Ruger, I like mine....6 in barrel..

·
Registered
2,264 Posts

I've got 2 Ruger's, and enjoy them both. 1st. is the MarkIII Hunter with a 2X Weaver on it. So much fun to shoot and cheap. 2nd. is a single six with the 22mag. cyl. on it most times, and it's wearin a 2X Burris more fun for cheap money and great to hunt critter's with. Soon as I bust a chuck with it I'll post the story.....later

·
Registered
2,264 Posts

Sorry I forgot I put the oversize rubber grips on the six also. Big difference feels great in your hand nice improvement....later

·
Registered
1,954 Posts

b&ghuntre said:
Sorry I forgot I put the oversize rubber grips on the six also. Big difference feels great in your hand nice improvement....later
Maybe on a 22 but that improvement goes away quick when you hit heavier calibers. gotta set sitting in the safe that came on a 41 mag I bought. Changed them out quick before even firing the gun.

·
Registered
6,460 Posts

Just like the echoes in the previous post "The Ruger Single Six". Not only accurate target gun but and excellent gun for hunting. My favorite when I want to take a 22 with me for coon when I'm calling fox..

·
Super Moderator
23,759 Posts

Ciscokid55 said:
since he said INEXPENSIVE the heritage is what you need. i love mine and will have to shoot alot of rds before i hit the price tag for even a used ruger.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts

TATERDAVID said:
Ciscokid55 said:
since he said INEXPENSIVE the heritage is what you need. i love mine and will have to shoot alot of rds before i hit the price tag for even a used ruger.
Every now and then you can find a deal or slipup. Bought a new model single six yesterday for 225 adding tax and check fees less than 250

Second for a plinking gun as the title and post states any 22 pistol will work. If hunting is not a plan but only for cheap play/practice any of the ruger or browning semi's would work great. the neo's look alittle spacy to me but I here they are good shooters. would love to own a ruger charger or might even try one of the single shot chipmunk pistols in 22 or 17 rimfire. I have owned the heritage rough rider and might still buy one again at the right price, but I hate the saftey. Leave the hammer on an empty chamber and don't cock it and it aint going off even if drop from the top of the sears tower

·
Registered
2,264 Posts

Don't understand?? Some guys always say somethin negative... If the six was gold plated , someone would say somethin and how cheap they got it...later [im

·
Registered
1,954 Posts

Nice setup what scope base and grips

If the above comment was directed at me I will gladly post a pic of the receipt when I pick it up next weekend believe me was shocked to find it at that price

·
Registered
2,264 Posts

Indirectly I guess. The grips are Hogue, the mount is Weaver. I can't remember how much mine was I bought it new at least 15 yrs. ago. I bought a Super Blackhawk 44mag. at same time thinkin I'ed have easy shootin with six to keep my eye for the Blackhawk. 101/2" barrel shot real nice kick was stright back not the jump up like a .357. Always wanted to put grips and scope on the Blackhawk but never did ended up sellin it. I've got a MK III Hunter fluted SS and scoped too. At club everyone wants to shoot my pistols. The six is more for huntin. Most guys have point blank guns 9's 40's carry guns more so. 30yd. ghog with them might just throw gun at them. My carry gun is for 2ft. away shots....later

·
Registered
1,954 Posts

My latest blackhawk came with the pachy grips shown in the first pic. Added a drill and tap weigand scope base (PA company with great bases), bushnell reddot, and finally the after market grips. Now the recoil of the 41 will roll in my hand instead of the buck with pachy grips.
I will probably leave the single six stock as it will also be my trapline gun

before:

After:

·
Registered
2,264 Posts

Look's nice, nice pistol. I delt with Weigand and your right Good People. My Blackhawk was 44 rem. mag.it shot well for the power, it would kick stright back rather then jump. I shot 44 spel. most at range with it limit the mags. Took a doe with it, just alot of gun and heavy to carry loaded. The six seems like it would be a fine trapline gun leave the 22 cyl. on it. My six always has the mag. cyl. on it with 40gr. bullets. If and when I bust a chuck with it I'll post picture's in Pred. thred. Maybe you can put nice'er grips on the six too. What's the design on your grips??....later

·
Registered
3,815 Posts

Nothing wrong with the single action Rugers. But I'd suggest spending more (sorry to ignore the 'inexpensive' part of your post). Get a Smith K-22 model 17 6 inch barrel, it will out live your grand children and be very satisfying to own and shoot.
in guns you often get what you pay for!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts